BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    sample jar of wvo drops from 15 to 5

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sample jar of wvo drops from 15 to 5
 Login/Join

posted
I did a half liter of wvo that titrated 15 . Used 1 cc. acid and 40 cc. methanol with the half liter. I kept the jar sealed and in a warm water bath of 130F. After one day it titrated 5. I was happy. Big Grin Now I'm doing a 40 gallon batch of the same wvo, the only thing that bothers me is the reactor vent that goes outside,,will cause the methanol to vaporize off. But what else can I do? The thermometer on the tank reads 130 F. I'm going to leave the element on over night and do a titration in the morning.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heatbeater
-if your going to do acid esterfication in your processor, 1ml of acid per ltr of oil is not going to be enough at that Titratiron. T 15 X .15 will work. once you master that you can try to cut back a bit, but how much will depend on the residual caustic in the processor.
-where your vent tube goes out side , extend it 4 or 5 feet in the air, put a couple elbows on the top to prevent rain water from getting in. Now the methanol that evaporates will condense in the tube and drip back into the processor. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1ml of acid per ltr of oil is not going to be enough

It would be 2 cc./liter ,it was a half liter sample that I used. Yeh,right ,give the vapor a long run so it'll condense and drain back into the reactor.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post