BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    ethanol AE

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ethanol AE
 Login/Join

posted
Can somebody confirm that i think it is ok for me to do htae using 2-4% ethanol instead of methanol or a mixture of the two will be looking at reducing fat tit 14 down to 2-3 in couple of hrs regards andy

Location: south australia | Registered: November 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the biggest question I would have is the purity of the ethanol..ethanol love water..more so than methanol. less than 99% pure and you have problems with the AE/HTAE working..

I don't have a ethanol source that's pure enough so I've never tried using it

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply DK in aus it is methylated spirit i believe it is 95-98% ethanol with 2-5% methanol as denaturing agent sold to the lab I work in as technical grade I will give it a try and see. regards andy

Location: south australia | Registered: November 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please keep us posted. I would love to see the results of this as well. From the gerpen article Ethanl reacted faster than the methanol used. It also helps the cloud point by using higher alcohols and handles higher temperatures. The azeotrope that the ethanol forms with water is a problem though. Denatured is probably the best way to go, as mentioned though anything more than about 1-2% water and you are going to run into issues.

I've read of several people trying the transesterficaion reaction (with little sucess) with ethanol but never the acid esterfication yet.

posted Hide Post
There does seem to be water in metho, you could use dehydrated copper sulfate to dry it. Test a sample if there is water in the metho the anhydrous CuSO4 will turn bright blue.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post