Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
biodiesel from mahua oil

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/629605551/m/9797057973

January 02, 2015, 01:24 AM
praniesh06
biodiesel from mahua oil
I am Praniesh, studying final year Industrial Biotechnology in Government College of Technology, Coimbatore. I am currently doing my project in "biodiesel production from mahua oil", the oil has a FFA% of 18. I did two step acid pretreatment using 0.35 v/v and 0.30 v/v methanol and 1% h2so4 to reduce the FFA but i could reduce it only to 4 not less than that. I tried it several times but still couldnt reduce it. I performed alkali transesterification reaction and it resulted in soap formation. So what should i do to reduce the FFA less than 1? should i change the quantity or is there any other alternative method? kindly reply me, thanks..I am Praniesh, studying final year Industrial Biotechnology in Government College of Technology, Coimbatore. I am currently doing my project in "biodiesel production from mahua oil", the oil has a FFA% of 18. I did two step acid pretreatment using 0.35 v/v and 0.30 v/v methanol and 1% h2so4 to reduce the FFA but i could reduce it only to 4 not less than that. I tried it several times but still couldnt reduce it. I performed alkali transesterification reaction and it resulted in soap formation. So what should i do to reduce the FFA less than 1? should i change the quantity or is there any other alternative method? kindly reply me, thanks..acid pretreatmentalkali pretreatment