BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Need Help to reduce titration of 30+ (Extreme Bad WVO)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help to reduce titration of 30+ (Extreme Bad WVO)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
A great achievement!! Thanks for dkenny!

I was looking at the acid base recipe method. I tried the dkenny method about using *0.2 sufuric acid.

Tried with a 500ml minipatch, it is hard for me to maintain the 55 degree C temperature, anyway i used the oil water and manage to keep the temperature for i think about 8 hours. Then i had to go sleep and the temperature dropped

the next day i heat it up to 55 degree C and do my titration. It went from 44 down to 15.4!!! WOOHOO.

How what shall i do? Shall i heat it up at 55 degree C and shake it and let it react for longer? OR i should pour out the sufuric acid+methonal stuff and add in fresh sufuric acid+menthonal and react again?

Please advice!

thanks

posted Hide Post
Its my understanding that the acid esterification stage produces biodiesel from the free fatty acids. I would dose it a second time and note the effect.

Then base esterify the remaining oil.

Location: Little Elm, TX | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are interested, I can help you through this issue. It is similar to some that I encountered while starting a oil collection/biodiesel company. The company was recently sold, and I am now consulting.

Specifically, we need to address the chemicals that are causing the smell, and promoting acid formation and oxidation. After these variables have been controlled, an appropriate reaction can be predictably executed.

Location: CO, CA, KS, or FL | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you could let the mix settle..
drain out about 1/2 if the initial methanol volume.
remix..
retitrate
run another acid stage if needed. sound like you'll need to run another acid stage.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is an update.

Yes i got it all working now =) 2 acid stages + 1 base.

My procedure is
1) acid stage, drain all the glycein
2) acid stage again, but do not drain the glycein
3) base stage, done! Pass that pan test easily =)

works like a charm, KOH is better which this type of reaction.