BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Eeeh Gads it happened again.....only Worse
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eeeh Gads it happened again.....only Worse
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
oops I forgot KOH

Location: yes | Registered: July 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well bad news. I did base but did not get a reaction. Titrated at 8.5 and I added 2000 grams KOH plus 3.5 gals of methanol. Checked this morning and no reaction. Bummers.
From this point forward I will not mess with tan glop. Drain and throw away is my new mantra.
My new question is....after I let this this brew settle out can I use the dark "oil" that will settle to the top of the tank with new wvo in my next batch. I am thinking that if I use this method I may be able to lower my T with all the "left over" chemicals in the "remaining oil". Sort of similar to glycerin pre-reaction that I have used in the past. The current oil I have acquired is way better that the oil I have been using. Thank goodness. I anxiously await your reply. Thanks for all your help. Bill

Location: yes | Registered: July 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mix well, take a 1 ltr sample , mix 1gr koh in 50 ml of methanol and reprocess, repeat until you get good seperation and pass 3/27, determine the amount of caustic it took then reprocess the whole batch using that amount in 50 -100 ml of methanol/ltr in the processor. Think the problem here is you have drained most of the methanol that was used in the ae process, this methanol is also required in the base stage, If I drain 4 ltrs after the ae process then I add that amount of methanol to the methanol that was in reserve for the base process.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an aside but is it normal to use so much methanol in an acid stage? 7.5 Gallons is almost 20%. That's almost 4x what I've used in the past?

On topic I agree with Tom in his assesment that it was caustic contamination of your processor that caused the failure. soap/KOH + acid = water. The fact that your tan layer sank rather than floated tells me there was either a lot of water or a lot of caustic contamination.