BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    need help!!

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help!!
 Login/Join

posted
ok im not sure wut this site is really but it came up wen i searched for glycerol... ive been havin trouble finding alot of information on it and i just had a couple very simple questions i hope sumone can answer.

1) is glycerol soluble in polar and/or non-polar solvents? why?

2)What products would be formed if glycerol were allowed to burn? What might the chemical reaction be for the combustion reaction of Glycerol?

posted Hide Post
not being a chemist...

gylcerol is a type of alcohol. therefore it disolves in both polar/nonpolar solvents

burn it..if the fire hot enough it burn fine. too low a temp you'll be piousinous gas..deadly acrolean (sp ). don't know the temps however.

you might try search for 'turk burner'
-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Subject Line I need help too! I have a 36 Gallon Batch that Titried out at 3.75 and called for 42.9onces of lye and 7.9 gallons of Methyl alcohol. I fallowed normal guide lines for processing and I draind 5 gallons of glycerol off at after circulating for two hours after I added my Lye alcohol mix and then I let it stand for two hours and Drained off more glycerol. the first 5 gallons of Glycerol turnd in to gelled crap that would not even pour out of the carboy I put in. The next morning I drained off two more gallons of glycerol. And transferd this batch to my Wash tank and started bubble washing and then, this evening I truned on my spray washer and returned two hours later to chech levels in my tank and I found a milky looking mess in my tank Can I save this batch after it emulsified like this? Help Me Please Ratski 1996 Ram Dodge 2500 Cummins Trubo bio-diesel

Ratski 96 Ram Dodge 2500 CTD, 3 Years, on bio-diesel.

Location: Forks, Wa | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
acrolean

so if it were to be burned at a higher temperature what would be produced? if anyone could tell me wut the chemical reaction would look like that would b fabulous as well Big Grin

posted Hide Post
ok so i need help on the exact same question what would happen if you burned glycerol at a high temp? and whats a balanced chemical equation for the combustion reaction of glycerol?

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure this is perfectly correct, but this seems to fit the equation for an incomplete burning of glycerol.

Acrolein is created when combusting glycerol at too low a temperature. The glycerol, which is a very polar compound because of the three alcohol groups on it, will get rid of an alcohol group and a hydrogen creating a pseudo aldehyde group with a hydrogen still attached to the oxygen and a double bond between the opposing carbons. However, this is unstable and a second hydroxyl group and the hydrogen from the aldehyde group leave, creating the acrolein.

Overly simplifying the equation for the combustion and assuming no side reactions, the equation for the complete combustion of glycerol is 7(O2)+2(C3H8O3)->6(CO2)+8(H2O).

The equation for decomposition of glycerol is C3H8O3->C3H4O+2(H2O).

There is some formaldehyde created by the decomposition reaction but that's a side reaction and the balancing becomes a pain.

Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: September 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What is the balanced equation for the combustion reaction of acetone? (C3H6O)

posted Hide Post
If your talking about burning Glycerol from a biodiesel production, first you need to strip the methanol and water out, then you have residual catalysts which can amount to 8 to 10 percent. This will also be in the combustion and could cause problems. Also any residual soaps and food.