BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Trying my hand at this HTAE
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying my hand at this HTAE
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooknline:
MIL suite...I dont want to ever have to deal with her again if I can help it. Big Grin

YIKES! Sounds like a good place to store the methanol and caustic too... Wink
DD, Your on!
We would have more fun heading up north for a moose or a bear though. I am new to this area and you need to know the local farmers to find a place to hunt around here, its fairly populated in these parts and everything is posted with no crown land anywhere to be seen...
I have been so busy over the last couple years I have only looked at my hunting gear with a fond look and glazed over eyes... Its amazing how starting a family and moving out of the north can interfere with a guys bush time. Roll Eyes
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
new batch in at 2pm. Neutralized processor with acid and water flush, dewatered oil
T 14 to start. .12 mult to see if it helps compensate for mixing. 155F. 2 hrs later T 7. will check it later this evening.

posted Hide Post
hook
-WOW thats a nice start! your last batch results where excellent, good on you. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we'll just have to see how low it goes and what the yield ends up at

posted Hide Post
Hook
-I noticed you had to did two repos on the last batch, you may find you have better results by spliting up your base stages into a 90/10 or 95/5 this works better for me than 80/20 which most times required a repo. Tom

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, Ill try that. It did pass 3/27 after the first repro, but after the second it passed 9/27 easily
I never got out to the barn last night to check the T. Checking it here after my morning coffee.

posted Hide Post
T is now a 3. I turned the pump and heat off last night at 6pm, let it ride as it was until just now.
Interesting. 14 to a 3 in 15 hours. No draining

posted Hide Post
A word of caution for those of you mixing during the acid stage. I have recently been in contact with MP Pumps for some pump information and their tech wanted me to look over a synopsis he wrote about some problems they have had with biodiesel facility's. Their cast iron pumps were failing in the biodiesel process, to quote
quote:
The ductile iron in this unit was dissolving away at a rate that was requiring the housing to be replaced every 6 to 12 months
They have resolved it by using a cast stainless steel pump. I would assume that it was acid processing that caused the failure...
The synopsis also address's the failure of the viton pump seals due to the methanol and they have rectified that by using Teflon seals...

I attached the document if any of you care to add anything. I used track changes to make it easy, my comments are in red.
Just change the file extension from .txt to .doc
Jon

Text FileBiofuels.txt (27 Kb, 12 downloads)

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Jon.
My pump is Bronze housed with packings. Cool

posted Hide Post
Hook, mixing hurts ending T with both HTAE and AE, but is a neccassary component for HTAE to keep the methonal mixed in.

You need to use a tube sock (or equivalent) full of sodium bentonite to counteract the negative effects of mixing. HTAE can easily drop T of 11 to completion in 1 hour, also your acid can be cut in less than half and get about the same result. Higher temps makes for even better finish T and even faster finish if your reactor can handle it.

Also a refractor tower is a must to keep the methonal in the reactor if you can't seal it.

Biotom is right about the caustic, his findings changed my setup and helped me remove the remaining inconsistencies.

Location: Buckeye | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
methanol containment is not a problem, neither are temps, I can take it as high as I wish if needed. Problem is the sodium bentonite. I dont have any way to make use of it because my reactor is 100% sealed( not counting vent line with shut off)
I use the apple turnover design with a few of my own modifications to suit my needs.
Any ideas on how I could make use of the SB?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyebiodiesel:
Hook, mixing hurts ending T with both HTAE and AE, but is a neccassary component for HTAE to keep the methonal mixed in.

You need to use a tube sock (or equivalent) full of sodium bentonite to counteract the negative effects of mixing. HTAE can easily drop T of 11 to completion in 1 hour, also your acid can be cut in less than half and get about the same result. Higher temps makes for even better finish T and even faster finish if your reactor can handle it.

Also a refractor tower is a must to keep the methonal in the reactor if you can't seal it.

Biotom is right about the caustic, his findings changed my setup and helped me remove the remaining inconsistencies.

I'd like to hear where mixing hurts ending T comes from, I mix continuously during 150 degree AE, today my 300 gallon batch went from 9 to 1.75 in three hours.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
fab, there were a few tests done that showed mixing hurt ending T vs non mixing and hlding temp at 130F

One question for you. On your ae, which at 150F could be considered HTAE, how many gpm or LPM are you running? I running at 20 gpm, and have seen pretty quick drops inside of 3 hrs using HTAE, but not finished T's inside of 3 hrs, more like 12-15 hrs at 155F

posted Hide Post
125 gpm, I have never had an AE go longer than three hours, even with oil that starts at ten or eleven.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
increased mixing then explains the short times.

posted Hide Post
fabricator

Are you using sodium bentonite?

Location: smithville flats, ny | Registered: August 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I don't see a need for it in my process.

posted Hide Post
hook
-fab is right, if your going to mix, mix the sh-t out of it, just check his past posts, he is one of few that have consistant results!!! Tom