BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Trying my hand at this HTAE
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying my hand at this HTAE
 Login/Join

posted
Batch in that T's at 11. .10 mult. Pump running to keep things mixed. Temp 155F Big Grin
Will follow up with results after 2 hrs, then 4 hrs

posted Hide Post
T 6 after 2 hrs

posted Hide Post
T 3.5 after 4 hrs, so Im going to let it run traditional temp, no mix until tomorrow. Hopefully end up around 1.5 or so.

posted Hide Post
hooknline,

glad you tried this..
my results were about the same?? it didn't work in 1 hr..

to be fair..
1. I didn't neutralize the processor first..I didn't even check..
2. I didn't neutralize the methanol/acid input line either..might be a issue.

this is helping to narrow down possible problems.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I flushed everything with the water as discussed. After 3 flushings, it was very slightly caustic. 1ml of acid solution to neutralize. Same with my injection lines and tank. Neutralizing with acid is the next test after this batch.
I just got home from work, so Im going to finish this beer and go see what the final T is.

posted Hide Post
T is still 4...not sure whats going on. Oil was extremely dry. I remixed everything, and Im going to let it sit at 130F for a few hours and see what happens. Probably move to base reguardless.
Seems that the mixing impaired the lowest T possible, coupled with using the .10 mult. .15 or .12 might be needed with HTAE just because of the mixing. That will be the next test aling with netralizing the entire batch

posted Hide Post
Hook
-thats been my experience, the mixing for some reason results in a higher ending T. It should also be noted that the tests for htae where done on small samples, this doesn't mean it will work exactly the same on a larger scale. I have found with the htae that I have done, what you have after 3 hrs is all your going to get! Your T4 is most likely the result of caustic residue, it takes very little caustic to neutralize the acid. I guess one to simply add more acid to off set this, but then you create more water when the acid is neutralized in the base process. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im thinking along the same lines Tom. I going to neutralize this whole batch using meuriatic acid at a rate of 1ml/L of liquid. Hopefully that has better results on the next testing batch. Also, Im going to try .12 mult for the HTAE, and see where that gets me.

posted Hide Post
Well Ill be a monkeys uncle. T never got below 3.5, so I went on to base processing. Just pulled a sample after 2 hrs mixing...get this.. 82% yield of total voume in the reactor. Leads to 54 gallons of bio...OUT OF 52 GALLONS OIL!
Now, it hasnt passed 3/27. Seperation was clear, and complete in 3 minutes on the sample. So I know its close. Im going to let it run for another 1/2 hour, settle overnight, and do the 2nd base stage in the am after draining....crazy stuff~! Confused

posted Hide Post
Hook
-I also notice that T is slightly higher after htae, but it does not translate into reduced yield, I'm not sure why, but if you where processing t3 wvo (no ae), the yield woud not be that high. Tom

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
T3 yield without AE would be about 92-94%. So Ill take 103% before reprocessing any day. especially considering that I started with T11.
So this begs the question, is it from the HTAE? I know heat is a catalyst all on its own. Thats the basis for the supercritical experiment, no outside catalyst needed.
Now, to try to reproduce the results consistently.

posted Hide Post
Hook and Tom,
Theoretically AE should result in higher yield. Since there is no Glycerol to drop off of a FFA. The higher the FFA% the higher the yield (if it's not lost in draining).
If 100% of the oil were converted to bio there would be an increase in volume of ~4.5%.

I single base T3 oil and get around 96% yield regularly.
Your T3.5 is more like T~1.75 acounting for the sulfuric contribution in the ending T. Combined with the reduced amount of glycerol your yield seams understandable to me. You gotta love AE.

You guys are making me want to AE some T3 oil. I just can't justify the extra energy input. Maybe I'll stumble accross some bad stuff?

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Double D
-Another great expanation by you Big Grin are you a chemist? Thanks for the info Tom

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:
Double D
-Another great expanation by you Big Grin are you a chemist? Thanks for the info Tom

Thanks Tom,
Only in the bio shed. Ceramic and natural stone construction is my trade.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
99% yield after 2 reprocesses. I want to push it as far as possible for my Ford 6.0

posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh great a block head giving chemistry advice! Razz

Too bad your not closer I have job for you on my front entrance! I would like it done for nothing and yesterday would would be great.... Hey we're all friends here right? Wink
Big Grin
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I need an electrician Jon. yesterday would be cool, I dont want to pay for labor or materials, but want to upgrade my service and run a 200 amp to the barn. So, when you coming down to FL???? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
OH ya, no problem.... I'll meet ya there! Wink
200A! are you putting in an electric smelter or starting a gro-op? Big Grin Big Grin
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
MIL suite...I dont want to ever have to deal with her again if I can help it. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Heron:
quote:

Oh great a block head giving chemistry advice! Razz

Too bad your not closer I have job for you on my front entrance! I would like it done for nothing and yesterday would would be great.... Hey we're all friends here right? Wink
Big Grin
Jon

LOL Smile
Sounds like an invitation to come hunt big Canadian White tails to me. If you've got the room and board, count me in.

Hook,
Congrats on the yield. Turning otherwise junk oil into high quality fuel just has to make you feel good. Big Grin