BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    How dry for acid esterfication

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How dry for acid esterfication
 Login/Join

posted
Trying to keep the other thread on track, I figured I would start this one.
How dry is it necc to get the oil for AE??? I thought my oil was dry but never tested it really over the last year/65 or so batches.

posted Hide Post
Do the HPT, if you have no sign of water you's food to go, unless you have a consistent level of water you will never get consistent conversion, I clean and dry with centrifuges and pretty much get cookie cutter consistency.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fab, I think I found my problem, giving me hit or miss results.
I recently went to a 80 gallon turnover from a 67 gallon steel cone tank when it started to develop leaks. I took what I though was all the pipe out and cleaned it out. well, there was one length of pvc pipe that had broken off inside the tank prior to me getting it, and I didnt see. So, when I went to draw off wet oil, I guess the pipe had lodged into the port, drawing from somewhere in the middle of the column. My oil has always been previously clear after settling, but I do the prewash in the WH on occasion. That, and little pieces of the pipe where breaking off and clogging the intake to the pump slowing down the mixing effeciency. I thought I was going crazy, needing more KOH than ever before to get a 3/27 pass. It was drawing now and again from the middle, allowing the glycerine and methanol to settle. Its amazing that I was able to make good fuel at any point with this. Its fixed now.

posted Hide Post
Good deal, and good luck, that's a good feeling when you find something like that, kinda like a eureka moment. Big Grin

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More like a "DOH" Confused moment Big Grin

posted Hide Post
hooknline

-the dryer the wvo the lower the T less water =less soap = more biodiesel Smile
- this question would not take the other thread off topic Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
how about this idea:
appleseed loaded with oil, heat at 160. Air compressor line to lower port of appleseed, pushed bubbles thru the oil, forcing moisture out the vent line.
This oil was cloudy, so I heated, settled out what I could, and set this up. Right now its blowing a column of steam. I know the compressor can pick up moisture out of the air, but it seems to be working. When the steam stops, Ill draw a sample and HPT it

posted Hide Post
hooknline

-very good way to dry wvo add the air while the pump is mixing if you can (heat on). thats how I dry the Bio after water wash except, I add air to the top of the tank, not through the liquid. but your way will work for SURE, you don't need much air flow, just enough to carry the moisture out. Big Grin Smile
-hpt is a good idea, also,check the moisture level of the air exiting the processor with a piece of cool glass or something similar. also, you can put an air dryer on the air entering the processor I use a filter canister that holds a full role of ass wipe Smile this works very well. I also use this for air extraction of the methanol from the drum, don,t want moisture in there. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, although not perfect, if you have a dryer on your air compressor, you won't have as much water to deal with.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news..it worked. Big Grin
Pass the hpt, and the vapor test. This oil was at the bottom( I need to go collect this weekend) of my settling tote
and very cloudy. heat, settle, drain...push air through...even at 180F no steam coming out of vent pipe.