BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    How do we lower the iodine value of oil?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do we lower the iodine value of oil?
 Login/Join

posted
Will acid esterification lower the iodine value of oil?

Can I be enlighten how to lower the iodine value of oil?

Location: Philippines | Registered: July 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant see how acid esterification will reduce the Iodine value of oil. The iodine value is an indication of how unsaturated an oil is and therefore how easily it will react with other elements and compounds, particularly oxygen.
If oxidation is a particular problem with the fuel you are producing, an antioxidant such as Vitamin E or butylated hydroxy toluene BHT might help.
What kind of oil are you using and what iodine value are you getting?

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are using Paring Oil. It is basically the outside portion of coconut meat. When you produce dessicated coconut we remove or slice the outer cover of the meat so that dessicated coconut becomes white meat.

These outer layer (parings) were collected around 18,000 kg per day; dried and produce paring oil through expeller machines. The problem is the iodine value of paring oil is 15% to 18% while the allowable Iodine Value for coconut oil is only 10%.

I thought that by removing glycerin in the process, we also remove some iodine value and goes with the glycerine?

Can we just put any chemical to reduce the iodine value of oil?

thanks for your prompt reply..

rasza

Location: Philippines | Registered: July 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It possible that acid esterification could reduce the iodine value, its just that I dont see why it would. Its certainly worth trying.
In order to reduce the double bonds (unsaturation)in an oil you must make those double bonds open and join with something else. Hydrogenation is a process used in several industries to reduce unsaturation by combining those double bonds with hydrogen but it is very expensive to set up.
The most obvious would be oxygen. Try bubbling air through the hot oil for a few hours and see if it reduces the Iodine value. It will of course cause oxidation and may cause the oil to darken but that may be an acceptable compromise depending on what you want to use the oil for.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Catalytic hydrogenation of your oil using Raney Nickel catalyst should lower the iodine value of your substandard oil. Or you might use it for making biodiesel. Thanks

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raney Nickel catalyst

Tnks for your suggestions. But cost is an issue besides by hydrogenation it might solidify the oil.

Maybe I will try the suggestion of imakebiodiesel of bubbling air through hot oil. Would it help if I incorporate some mist while bubbling? Water has two hydrogen atoms maybe by bubbling it with air and water mist the hydrogen will join with the carbon???

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rasza:
quote:
Raney Nickel catalyst

Tnks for your suggestions. But cost is an issue besides by hydrogenation it might solidify the oil.

Maybe I will try the suggestion of imakebiodiesel of bubbling air through hot oil. Would it help if I incorporate some mist while bubbling? Water has two hydrogen atoms maybe by bubbling it with air and water mist the hydrogen will join with the carbon???

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Have you tried using hot water on your oil. Iodine will dissolve in hot water. If the Iodine is not bounded to your oil this might work.

Biodiesel for cleaner air and fuel independence!
(502) 272-6333

Location: Indiana | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post