BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Can Acid Esterification lower the iodine of oil?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Acid Esterification lower the iodine of oil?
 Login/Join

posted
I read that oil with a higher Iodine Value indicates a higher quantity of double bonds in the sample. I wish to know if by doing acid esterification, does it decrease the iodine value of oil?

Can anyone help me how to lower the iodine value of oil?

Regards,

RASZA

Question:
How to lower iodine value of oil?

Choices:
acid esterification
neutralization of oil

Location: Philippines | Registered: July 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rasza:
I read that oil with a higher Iodine Value indicates a higher quantity of double bonds in the sample. I wish to know if by doing acid esterification, does it decrease the iodine value of oil?

Can anyone help me how to lower the iodine value of oil?

Regards,

RASZA

sulfuric acid would not affect your iodine content. phosphoric will but the amount need is more than your oil could handle and you would probably ruin the batch/

Biodiesel for cleaner air and fuel independence!
(502) 272-6333

Location: Indiana | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Catalytic hydrogenation of your oil using Raney nickel would lower the number of double bonds. That's first year college organic chemistry here. To the best of my knowledge acid esterification has nothing to do with the number of the C=C carbon carbon double bonds.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post