BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Acid stage not working..this may be of interest

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acid stage not working..this may be of interest
 Login/Join

posted
I just pulled up the msds for the main frier cleaner used by restaurants. Seems that the main component is hydroxyacetic acid...basically a form of strong vinegar. It would conceivably cause an artificially high titration. It is 100% soluable
in water and boils out at 212 degrees. I dont know how one would determine before hand it its an issue. Maybe one of the forum experts can advise?

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Do a shakemup test on some oil (water+oil+shake hard). Titrate before and after. if your titration goes down, then it's inflating the titration number. dry the oil before titrating a second time.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hmm...according to this website it aids in estefication and is used as a chemical peel. So we can make bio while looking younger. here

posted Hide Post
Rick, would you suggest doing the shake test on the oil, then drain the water, shake some more until the titration stops dropping to get the real titration number?
I have had some oil that titrated at 15 after drying, but the acid still had no effect on. Leading me to believe that something is neutralizing the acid.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a plan. Just make sure the oil is dry before titrating or it could throw it off.

A titration of 15 is a lot to contribute completely to water soluble acids.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post