BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    New to AE, could use some tips.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to AE, could use some tips.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Note the vented lid and the 5-gallon container on the floor 3/4 filled with water. Cool

Location: STL Metro | Registered: October 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, just fired up the next batch of oil I picked up today...

20KOH... Man this is some crappy oil. Glad I dont eat where I pick up the oil from.

Anyhow, here's the specs on what I have brewing now.

Liters of WVO from Pg1 66.17
Gallons of WVO from Pg1 17.48
Titration from Pg1 20.00KOH
Target Titration 3
ML of Acid per Liter of WVO 3.4
Base Acid Volume in ML 225.0
Purity of Acid 93.0%
Total Acid Volume in ML 241.9

12% Methanol Required in Liters 7.94
12% Methanol Required in Gal 2.10

This time I calculated for the purity of the acid in the spreadsheet. I've got the heat on, and one fish tank bubbler running (see link in prior post). I'm going to let it go for 12 hours until 10:30AM central, then pull a sample and do a titration, and then do titrations every 2 hours for the next 12 hours.

I gotta get this AE figured out if my oil is going to continue to be this crappy.

Location: STL Metro | Registered: October 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The black drain cleaner is probably sulfuric acid that contains an inhibitor such as 'Acitrol' to prevent the acid attacking metals, this turns the acid black. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Jim.

Now, on to today's topic...

The current batch has been mixing for 11 hours and 45 minutes at 140F. I just completed another titration, and it has not changed from the original 20KOH.

What am I doing wrong? This oil doesn't have any discernible water in it.

posted Hide Post
Ok, this is even more weird. On the advice of a fellow processor, I let the sample I pulled out sit for 2 hours to let it settle out, on the premise that the acid and methanol is in suspension and therefore throwing off the titration.

So, after sitting for 2 hours, the sample I pulled in the previous post, that titrated to 20KOH, now titrates to 26KOH. Is the acid floating to the top?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Thanks for the info Jim.

Now, on to today's topic...

The current batch has been mixing for 11 hours and 45 minutes at 140F. I just completed another titration, and it has not changed from the original 20KOH.

What am I doing wrong? This oil doesn't have any discernible water in it.
You are mixing too much.
Biotom has shown that the more you mix the worse the results. You need to stop mixing.

posted Hide Post
The mixing stopped after 14 hours to let it settle.

Dkenny's method says 2-12 hours of mixing, but it doesn't say with or without heat.

The last time I mixed for 2 hours and turned off the mixing and heat.

This time I mixed with heat for 14 hours.

I guess it went from one extreme to another. How long do you know how to mix, and do you mix with or without heat?

posted Hide Post
Bill I don't want to do this by email and on this forum, choose one or the other. as far as mixing MJ is correct, better results are achieved by mixing for about an hour (depending on batch size and mixing capacity) then let sit with heat on for 12 - 14 hours. AE reaction will stop if temp falls below 100f. The reaction will restart by adding heat so if you are unable to baby sit the bio shed you can shuter down and resart another day.
heat the oil to 100 - 140f add the methanol mix 15 -20 minutes then add the acid then mix for about 1 hour. some here mix the methanol and acid togeather then add it but for me that creats more risk than I care to take. adding the acid to the oil before the methanol will result in darker biodiesel than if you add methanol first but the reaction works just as well.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, let's take it to e-mail then...

-Bill