BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    40 KOH animal fat AE

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 KOH animal fat AE
 Login/Join

posted
Tried another test batch of 40 KOH animal fat:

1st Stage AE:
WVO 1000ml
CH3OH 120ml
H2SO4 6.6ml (40-3=37x0.18=6.6ml)

TV(start)=40 (12:13 PM 8/26/2010) 40x0.546=22.56%
TV1=14 ( 7:10 AM 8/27/2010) 17x0.546= 9.28% (drained 50ml black stuff)

2nd stage AE:
H2SO4 1.8 ml (14-3=11x0.18=1.98)+50ml CH3OH
TV(end)= 7 (10:57 AM 8/30/2010) 7x0.546= 3.82%

2nd Stage Base:

KOH 8+7=15g/L
CH3OH 150ml (100+50drained)
reaction ok 80% yield

This message has been edited. Last edited by: estB100,

Location: Philippines | Registered: June 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good thanks for posting

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet!!!! note that most of the final T will be the result of sufuric acid in the mix. It is difficult to express yield in such a small batch, some wvo was lost for sure when you did the drain after the first AE stage, then more bio would be caught up in the byproduct after the base reaction. What temp did you do AE at? too bad you can't post those pictures to this thread. Great info! thanks for posting Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi Biotom,

Reacted at 55-60 deg C for both acid and base stages.
Yes, some wvo were lost while the draining after AE stage and bio during the base stage. I have posted some pics on another thread. Thanks for the reply, will continue test batches and post results.

Location: Philippines | Registered: June 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taralec:
Looks good thanks for posting

Hi taralec,

thanks for the comment, will continue posting results.

posted Hide Post
Why are you going base,acid,acid, base? Would you not get a higher yield and use less chemical by going, acid, acid, base, base?

Location: CO, CA, KS, or FL | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HelpingHand:
Why are you going base,acid,acid, base? Would you not get a higher yield and use less chemical by going, acid, acid, base, base?

thanks HelpingHand,

Yes, I did 2 acid stages and 1 base stage(acid,acid then base process).

posted Hide Post
Just seen the other pics with the finished fuel-amazing transformation from that starting fat.Presumably if you put that bio in the fridge,it will cloud up,or set solid-but ok for fuel in warm weather-excellent post

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taralec:
Just seen the other pics with the finished fuel-amazing transformation from that starting fat.Presumably if you put that bio in the fridge,it will cloud up,or set solid-but ok for fuel in warm weather-excellent post

thanks taralec,

no problem with the weather here in the Philippines,
we have warm weather almost the whole year round. I'll
try to put it in the fridge to see if it clouds up...