BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    anyone still using bentonite?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone still using bentonite?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I can do htae, we are processing at 170f right now. I don't think I could get any higher without more heat exchanger in the tank. It is sounding like I need to start building soon. all of our stuff is built out of propane tanks, I just need to spend a little time accumulating parts to do another processor. I don't think I'll be fooling with trap grease anytime soon. At least not on the scale I'm working in. I'm pretty happy with the fuel we are making, I am just having to learn more to cope with oil going down in quality. I haven't tested any of our gel points since we started doing ae, so I don't even know what impact it has made. last year we were at about 18f before filters started plugging.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found trap waste with a heavy AE hit typically will have a lower gel point than it's yellow grease counterpart with only a light AE hit. We were astonished at the results, because they are typically a good deal lower than yellow. We have not figured out why,

My best guess is sterol glucosides are in all grease's , yellow and trap. Because so much time is spent removing S.G.'s from trap grease it might, after processing, have a lower concentration of S.G.'s than yellow resulting in better performing (lower) gel points for the trap grease (S.G.s ruin gel points).

Location: Buckeye | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
htea = 165F normal ae 100f

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, and 170F is more than enough temp for great fast AE! Big Grin

18F before fuel filter clogging? Well done!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:
htea = 165F normal ae 100f

Damn it BioTom, I was just about to say that! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I even base process at that temp. my processor is sealed, so I don't have to worry about losing methanol. I pull a vacuum on the processor, then shut everything off so I don't have to worry about it building pressure. I think the higher heat helps with everything. I have never failed a 3/27. I need to find someone who has a walk in ice cream freezer. the fridge we have in the lab only goes to about 5 degrees. It would be nice on a hot day to go sit in a freezer that is at 15 below, and do some cloud point testing. oh yeah, and eat some ice cream.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post