BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    What are these layers in my AE drainage?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are these layers in my AE drainage?
 Login/Join

posted
The top one is black and not translucent. Is that the methanol? Then there is that cream looking. Not sure what it is. Then I have what looks like oil. Then water on the bottom? Does that seem right?

This was my first time doing it. This is from the first stage from oil that initially titrated at about 50. Became 15 afterwards.

Thanks

2000 7.3 Excursion
2006 Jetta TDI
2 86 BMW 524TDs
2002 Corvette
6.5 Powered wakeboard boat!

Imagephoto.JPG (34 Kb, 23 downloads)

Location: East TN | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what was the color of the junk when it was being drained? water on the bottom for sure? AE won't work with that much water in the oil. AT best I see a small trace of water in the bottom of a bucket when I pour the drainage out. I have a feeling that your titration number was not caused by FFA. Maybe that the acid neutralized some other product that had contaminated the oil giving you those readings. Have you been processing that T 20 oil with base only processing? For me that is another red flag since processing that oil with base only processing is difficult at best, and the yield would only be about 50 or 60% Check your titration proceedure and solutions.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The drainage was probably between black and caramel. Hard to really remember now.

My starting oil was pretty dry. At least according to the pan test. It was my understanding that high titrating oil and acid creates water and that's what stops the reaction. That's why you have to do a second one after you drain it off.

My starting titration number was about 50. After the first run of AE it was 15. Yesterday I did it again using .6 ml per liter. I didn't want to overdo it since I read that can be really bad news. Just drained it tonight and looks like it now titrates at 8. There was maybe 25ml eorth of caramel stuff.

I'd say on average, my batches would titrate 14-18 before. Yes I was just doing a base process. They all worked ok. Passed 3/27 with no problem and no emulsions with pump washing. My yields were anywhere from 75-90 according to my measurements.

I've read about AE but that first batch of t50 stuff made me try it. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Still not sure what those drainage layers are though.

Also, now do I just go ahead with the base process or do I have to dewater it again. And if dewater all methanol would evaporate?

Thanks

2000 7.3 Excursion
2006 Jetta TDI
2 86 BMW 524TDs
2002 Corvette
6.5 Powered wakeboard boat!

Location: East TN | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post