BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    How do I process AE batch that pre-glycerin won't settle out?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I process AE batch that pre-glycerin won't settle out?
 Login/Join

posted
I drained off 3 1/2 cubies from the bottom of an AE batch and there's a separation in the cubies a brown layer and black layer on top (30% brown to 70% black) but it all wvo to me. There isn't any difference in viscocity. Sometimes the wvo looks the same when I pick it up from the food joints. Can I base process this batch even though there's pre-treat glycerin in it?

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morning heat
Need a bit more information to answer that, although it just sounds like really runny glycerin that's full of methanol/water.

1) What does the top (Black) layer titrate at
2) What does the bottom layer titrate at?
3) If you take a small sample of the bottom layer and heat it to 120C or so what do you have left? (If I'm right you'll have a layer of biodiesel on top of some much thickened glycerin)

Again the glycerin won't effect your base stage but you still need to know that the oil is ready for the base stage. If #3 turns out to be what you have then you may actually have to modify you base stage slightly since you already have quite a lot of methanol in the oil as well as some BD from the acid stage.

posted Hide Post
heatbeater
-this batch still! to move the reaction to the right we can add more methanol or retract the glycerine thats part of the basis for the 2 stage process. Based on that, the byproduct would affect the base process, except that yours has not been demethed so the additional methanol is therein the byproduct. I would take a 1 ltr sample and add 20% methanol and the required caustic for the T and see what happens. I bet seperation.
-In addition to the above and what BWilder has suggested, if you don't want to go this route you could simply wash the byproduct out with a couple or three static washes, dry the oil and then base process. I amm interested in what the T of this batch was after AE and again after the second byproduct treatment, How much ffa was released from the byproduct treatment after AE back into the biodiesel? Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1) What does the top (Black) layer titrate at
2) What does the bottom layer titrate at?
3) If you take a small sample of the bottom layer and heat it to 120C or so what do you have left? (If I'm right you'll have a layer of biodiesel on top of some much thickened glycerin)

I ran out of patience . Anyway thanks for the advice. I guess i won't do any glycerin pre -treat after AE. But it looks like its going to turn out OK.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post