BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Drain Cleaner

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drain Cleaner
 Login/Join

posted
I am having trouble locating acid in the area (Lake Charles La.) I found some "Super Pro Drain Cleaner" made by Thrifty Mfg in Kansas. I called the company and they said that it was 95-98%. Any thoughts on this being OK.
Thanks

posted Hide Post
Drain cleaner is most likely 95-98% lye (Sodium Hydroxide - NaOH), a strong base, just the opposite of what you want.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PbintoAu,
there's a sulfuric acid drain cleaner out there, and the purity varies greatly. The high purity they quoted him is just fine. Many people use sulfuric acid drain cleaner. Tilly once did a search and found that the purity can be quite low, but that doesn't seem to be most people's experience with it- it usually works fine. I'm glad the company actually came out and told him the answer to his question, that's good to know!

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, girlmark. Good to know. SemperFi, I stand corrected.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post