BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    WBD acid neutralize

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WBD acid neutralize
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all,
I hope someone can help me with a question concerning WBD. I started with 36 gallons of oil titrating at 4.2 KOH. I used the AE method as follows: I heated the oil to 140F –150F (Oil was already dried) and added 87 ml of Sulfuric Acid into 3.6 gallons of Methanol and introduced it into my oil. I processed for 6 hours ending with a titration of 1.2. Then I added 1254 grams of KOH to 4.3 gallons of Methanol and introduced it. I processed for 1.5 hours to a brilliant clear 27/3 pass.
Now I am trying to figure out how much acid to add to neutralize the KOH before WBD. I made a titration solution of 1 ml sulfuric acid to 1000 ml of distilled water. I then added 10 ml of 91 percent ISO to a beaker and added 4 drops of Turmeric solution. I blanked it to a nice purple color with my KOH titration solution and then added 1 ml of well mixed biodiesel / glycerin to it and continued to mix. My concern is it went to a yellow color instantly. I did a test by adding KOH titration solution to it until it turned purple again. It took .2 ml of KOH solution to turn it purple and only 2 drops of my acid titration solution to turn it yellow again. I did several titrations all with repeating results. Have I done something wrong?

Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Looks like your titration procedure was done properly.
Your titration indicates that you have no left over base in the glycerin/bio. It's understandable not to have any base left over if the titration before base processing was done accurately and a minimal base amount was used.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Double D,

I guess I will see how the 27/3 and shake up tests go after demeth.

Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's understandable not to have any base left over if the titration before base processing was done accurately and a minimal base amount was used.

-OK where did it go? caustic is the catalist, it is not consummed except that which is used up making soap. As far as neutralizing the whole batch with acid, why would you want to release ffa back into the biodiesel at this point? Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biotom,

I did a WBD and did not want a reverse reaction. This was my first attempt at WBD and neutralizing the caustic.