BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Acid/Base 3/27 sediment?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acid/Base 3/27 sediment?
 Login/Join

posted
Should I see some sediment precipitate out in the 3/27 test after acid/base ?

Salts perhaps ?

Otherwise clears immediately and seems to be a good pass--

Does not look at all like un-reacted oil appears in a base only process test--

Tnx,

ReM

B100--
2004 Motorhome CatC7
1987 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo(possibly for sale)
1983 VW Pick-up (Caddy) 1.6 Turbo
Southern Oregon

posted Hide Post
Am I missing something? I thought the idea of AE was to convert the ffa to ester leaving the oil so you should see a heap of drop out, and i have not heard of performing a conversion test on AE??

Location: south australia | Registered: November 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gilfish:
Am I missing something? I thought the idea of AE was to convert the ffa to ester leaving the oil so you should see a heap of drop out, and i have not heard of performing a conversion test on AE??

Test after acid/base. Not after only acid stage..
Tnx, ReM

B100--
2004 Motorhome CatC7
Southern Oregon

posted Hide Post
Sulfuric acid plus sodium or potassium hydroxide makes salt and water. The salt produced is potassium sulfate or sodium sulfate. If I recall correctly the salt precipitated out when I did AE. The salt was a white solid. I was using new corn oil and 85% KOH and 98-99% concentrated sulfuric acid. Sodium sulfate is sometimes used as a slow drying agent, it forms the decahydrate.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes you cal have salts drop out in the 3/27 test if the sample is taken while the batch is still mixing or shortly after. if you let the biodiesel rest/settle for and hour before 3/27 this salt will fall to the bottom of the processor

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:
yes you cal have salts drop out in the 3/27 test if the sample is taken while the batch is still mixing or shortly after. if you let the biodiesel rest/settle for and hour before 3/27 this salt will fall to the bottom of the processor

Tnx both you and WesleyB... I thought that was probably the case...

B100--
2004 Motorhome CatC7
Southern Oregon