BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    cracking glycerin and acid esterfication at the same time?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cracking glycerin and acid esterfication at the same time?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm thinking about trying to put about 20% glycerin in from an old batch of fuel to recover/process the leftover FFA's(soaps). I think this would work really well because the glycerin should take out a lot of the water produced during AE. It will also recover the soaps out of the glycerin from the last batch of bio. If you did it this way you would get 100% yield. I was also thinking about adding in some soaps that have settled out of my settling tank. I know it would use more acid, but that's ok because I am sell my semi refined glycerin anyways. Does anyone see any reason this would not work?

posted Hide Post
This has never worked when I tried it. Even using refined glycerin that had been neutralized and the FFA's and water removed hindered the AE. My theory is that it acts like water inhibiting the reaction. Probably something to do with the acid dissolving so well into the glycerin that the FFA can't get to it.

I suppose you could try adding soaps or adding non-demethed glycerin and then draining. (soap will stay in the methanol that dissolves in your oil and then be transformed to FFA when you add acid). However, that seems too hard to control and too easy to get wrong. Ask heatbeater about his problems with glycerin pretreatment and AE.

posted Hide Post
so what would be wrong with cracking the glycerin first, then adding the FFA's to the oil to be pretreated? For some reason it seems like nobody does this. Is it because their oil is free? There is probably 40% FFA's in most glycerin. That's a lot of yield to lose.

posted Hide Post
No reason not to whatsoever provided you have faith in your AE process

posted Hide Post
-there are people here that have split the ffa from the byproduct and sent it back to the AE process, try contacting weldshop. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post