BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    acid esterification of animal fat

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

acid esterification of animal fat
 Login/Join

posted
just tried a small batch of high titration animal fat (35ml KOH).

1000ml animal fat
100ml CH3OH
6.4ml H2SO4 (35-3)x0.2...dkenny's formula
reacted at 60deg C, pet bottle mixing

titration dropped to 8ml KOH after 12 days.
will continue testing high ffa fats. Smile

Location: Philippines | Registered: June 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how clean and dry was the oil to start with?

I ask because 35KOH while it seems really bad..actually isn't. in the stick thread on AE there is a AE producer name 'buckeye' that routinely used 70+ KOH sludge..and with less acid and methanol.

just some info..

lets look at your results

6.4ml of acid..hum this should result in 6.4*2.2 = 14.08 for a titration cause by the acid added..but you got lower.GREAT.. so something in your oil consumed some of the acid. a common grill/oven cleaner is NaOH..this might end up in the oil. just a thought

great results..
did you drain after the acid stage and recheck the titration? what was it?
have you proceeded to the base stage/stages? final yield percentage?

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi dKenny,

oil came from animal fat drippings collected while cooking (beef,pork, chicken mix).
Didn't filtered it and still had some trace of water from the hot pan test.

I processed 1 liter, drained around 50ml of black stuff after the acid stage.
Processed with the base stage using 16gms KOH (base amount of 8 + 8ml titraton after the acid stage)
yeilding 80% conversion.
Thanks very much for the reply dKenny, will keep in touch and continue to post test results and pictures soon. I have a regular supply of animal fat of around 200 liters per week. Problem is when stocked for several days, ffa goes up. Fresh batches titrates at 5-10 but goes up to 30+ in a few days. Maybe because of the high water content. I learned many things from your posts... Smile

Location: Philippines | Registered: June 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if it fails HTP..forget AE...HTP is the start of dry enough..

I just ran a batch that started at 32KOH ended at 11..drained remixed and heat checked again 8KOH..
close enough..2 base stages and its now washing.

IT MUST BE DRY..CLEAN IS EVEN BETTER. clean allows you to use less acid..resulting in a lower ending titration.

you might try mixing something into the oil to kill the bacteria..I'll know more soon. since the I have a simular problem..oil come in low..but if it sits..titration goes thru the roof..and lots of chicken stuff in the oil..I would have thought cooking the chicken would have killed all the bacteria from the source..maybe..maybe not..anyway I sprayed bleach into the mix to kill the growing mold(bacteria)..seems to be working.

keep us posted..it helps others who are willing to read learn more

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post