BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Oil that titrates at 8 NOah need help with ae

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil that titrates at 8 NOah need help with ae
 Login/Join

posted
I have about 240 gals of oil that titrates at 8 NOah. I did a acid on it heating to 140 degrees added the acid and methonal mixture and let mix for 3 hours turned off mixing and let settle over night. The next day I mixed and titrated again and it came to a 5 I need it lower than that to run the base stage otherwise it does not work for me. Could I reheat and mix and let settle another day? I am using 80 gal batches by the way I I also used 355 mls of acid could this be to much or to little thanks I am new to se

posted Hide Post
let settle another day, then titrate the oil, most of the acid and some acid burnt junk will be on the bottom. If your oil was dry enough when you did the ae you should notice a BIG drop in t. How much acid did you use/ltr of oil? expect T to be 2 for each ml of acid?ltr of oil.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biotom. I uses 1.2mls of acid/ltr but I am thinking I have water still in my oil cause it was really molly when I stated mixing the next day. Also should I have tried to drain off the bottom before I mixed the next day after settling?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oxdiesel:
Biotom. I used 1.2mls of acid/ltr but I am thinking I have water still in my oil cause it was really milky when I stated mixing the next day. Also should I have tried to drain off the bottom before I mixed the next day after settling?

posted Hide Post
I always drain a couple ltrs from the bottom after ae prior to mixing this helps to lower T from the acid. 1.2 X 2 = 2.4 when you reach this T you can bet most of the ffa have been turned into fuel. If your oil was wet AE will not work. At this point if you can drain the methanol/acid /junk from the bottom until you hit oil you could just repeat the AE. sulfuric acid is a real water mop so at this point with the compromised acid out of the tank your oil should be quite dry

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you biotom I will try that I appreciate. The help