BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Zink Acetate catalyst

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zink Acetate catalyst
 Login/Join

posted
Zinc Acetate.
Anyone heard of it?
Anyone used it?

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried a jar size reaction with zinc acetate as the catalyst. Nothing seemed to happen.
I think maybe more heat might of helped, I can't really remember the details now it was a few years ago.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I searched online and couldn't find anything on it related to it's use as a catalyst.
I'll try again using a different search engine. There should be something out there.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your Email, if you want more info search for Lewis acids

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So has anyone here tried to use zinc catalyst? If so, results?
Or does anyone know basic procedures to process with it and where to get some?

Location: Buckeye | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made my Zinc Acetate, Zinc oxide from a pottery supply shop and vinegar from the supermarket.

posted Hide Post
Is it the acetic acid in the viniger that converted the zinc oxide to its acetate? I thought you needed acetic anhydride to convert to acetate?

How were your results? How did you implement the zinc acetate?
I know, a lot of questions Big Grin

Location: Buckeye | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could use glacial acetic acid from the camera shop but vinegar worked fine for me. The oxide is insoluble in water but the acetate is, so I just added vinegar to the oxide. It takes a bit of time for the reaction to complete because the vinegar is not a strong acid.
Boiling the water away is time consuming and it is important not to let the acetate get to hot because it readily decomposes.

When I did the tests I had never made bio and used ethanol not methanol.
I got no reaction but the temp never got over 60c.
It did not seem to be very soluble in the ethanol but methanol might be better.

I would use methanol if I did it again and apply more heat.