BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Large scale acid esterificaton

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large scale acid esterificaton
 Login/Join

posted
G'day chaps!

I'm looking for a production line that can handle high FFA (45%) oil left after vegetable oil refining. Could you please point me in the right direction? I've got access to quite a large supply but don't know anyone doing this type of biodiesel production. Any imput would be appreciated.

Location: Formerly Brisbane QLD but in Ukraine for the past 16 years | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think that the setup would need 2 or more acid stages. you'll need to settle between the stages.

or ---

since doesn't sound like home brew size setup
something to remove the water during the acid esterification stage, but leave the methanol/acid behind.

sounds like an interesting design/build project to me.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi
did anyone find out about this high FFA problem, i have 54% ffa sunflower acid oil and want to know if sulphuric acid will work , and how much to use and what is the % of biofuel after FAME?
Frown

posted Hide Post
try it on a sample.

since 54% FFA is about 95KOH.
I'd suggest 2 stages
95 - 40 * 0.2ml = for acid during the first acid stage. use the same 12% for methanol.

drain after 24 hrs of processing. this will be about 1/2 of the methanol you started with
titrate again - don't assume that it reached 40.

recalculate the acid needed..
titration -3 *0.2. I would suggest using the amount drained.

process again for 24 hrs
settle and drain
mix and recheck the titration.

hopefully its between 3-7 KOH

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks
i sort of get it, but being a newby could you break it down into baby talk, i would really appreciate it, ive searched the net for days, and your the first person that sounds like they know what they are talking about! I have 60 MT of this stuff(no joke) and i need to know how much sulphuric to order?, or how much acid per MT?

posted Hide Post
sure

read this

http://biodieselcommunity.org/acidbase/

comment and question here

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/629605551/m/9931007872

-dkenny