BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    For all the nay sayers, your missing out
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all the nay sayers, your missing out
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I did the 3/27 test today using the unwashed fuel. It is pretty cloudy but nothing fell out. Is that good? I will check it tomorrow. in past sometimes the 3/27 test would be cloudy then clear up in a short amount of time. So what exactly would the 3/27 test look like if rxn is done? Is it OK if a little cloudy just no fall out?

DD; I would assume that my oil is pretty dry due to the success I had in getting to a titration of 2. If there is acid left in the oil then I really kicked butt. When I first started my BD adventures it was titration plus 3.5 then it was recomended to add 5 to titration. I added 6 to my titration for this batch. If you go back to my first few posts I mentiond that its hard to know how much meoh is left in the oil after draining. Thats why I do a 500 ml lab sized base rxn so i can have a little better idea. Basically i add the rquired KOH to 1/2 the MEOH required. I add that to the oil, mix for a few minutes at 150F, take a sample into a test tube and see if i get seperation. if not I begin adding meoh till I get seperation.

I can make a rough guess by volume in tank after draining the black shiznits. i.e, if I start with 500 gals and add 60 gals meoh for the AE then after draining black stuff I have 520 gals left in rx'r. I would assume i had 20 gals of meoh + 500 gals oil in the rx'r. sound about right? So i would simply reduce base rxn meoh by 20 gals. It really isnt a big deal and plus im still new with the AE and dont like guessing on such large batches. Theres nothing worse than having to get rid of 700 gals of garbage, lol.

I think I will start a new thread upon start of my next batch on Best Way To Dry Oil For AE.

02 duramax, bio since 04/08

Location: St Pete Florida | Registered: December 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoot,
I 3/27 test during process. About 30 min into processing, I pull a 500ml or so sample and set it aside to settle. After settling for 10-15 minutes I pull a 3ml sample off the top and add that to 27 ml of chilled methanol. I set the sample in a water bath at 68F or less. If the test is cloudy after adding the bio, then there's a good chance that you may end up with fallout in the test. I look for an instant bright and clear. With an instant bright and clear I have never seen fallout in my tests.
If your tests are cloudy, you can try using a larger test size like 10/90 which makes it easier to see fallout if it's there. You can also try running your test at lower temperatures to see if/when it fails. Andrew Morris did extensive experimenting with 3/27 testing and found that temperature had a profound effect on the test results much more so than increasing the bio to methanol ratio. Andrews has been advocating the test be performed at 68F maximum. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Neutrals work paved the way for increased amounts of Caustic.
Base (adjusted for purity) + titration
KOH base amount = 7g
NaOH base amount = 5g

Guestimating the amount of methanol by how much watery liquid was drained is the easiest way to get close.
You could work out the calculations and get really close if you want to.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 3/27 was a bit cloudy but no fall out. I went ahead and washed it. Whats the big deal if you have a little unreacted oil in your finished fuel? I mean people run SVO?

I have finished drying this batch and it has a little haze in it. I ran it through a 1um filter and it turned the filter disk slighly brown but didnt take the haze away. Seeing as this is my second AE I didnt see this on my 1st AE but might this be ok? I also took a small sample and mixed it with some magnasol at 40C for a few minutes. Let it settle over night. Poured the supernatent into some test tubes and centrifuged. It was crystal clear and 100% lighter in color. The magnasol was a deep brown color. (GOD i wish I could find away to filter magnasol out) Whatever is causing the haze must be some sort of polar compound? Maybe mono/di glycerides? Maybe contaiminated oil? I guess if the filter didnt catch it than my truck filter wont catch it either.

The ph is neutral and the water shake test is clear.

I had a problem once where the fuel had a little brown powdery sediment in it. It clogged my truck filter within two tanks. Dont know what that was either.

02 duramax, bio since 04/08

Location: St Pete Florida | Registered: December 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoot
-could this have somthing to do with the acid burnig the wvo, and or food stuffs in the oil, or just the pigment from the overused wvo..I've seen the brown stuff before, and given time it will settle out. Nice to see that the wash worked, did you pump wash? Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post