BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    transfering batch to a steel container after neutralizing acid

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

transfering batch to a steel container after neutralizing acid
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

After treating with KOH/methanol, during the acid/base method, I'm assuming the neutralization of the acid would make it safe for transferring to a steel container.

Can someone confirm this?

thanks...

Location: Florida, US | Registered: April 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.engineeringtoolbox.com appears to me to indicate carbon steel is corrosion resistant to sodium hydroxide (probably in water). If the inside of your steel container is painted the biodiesel might dissolve part of the paint, polluting the biodiesel.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the acid/ base method when the KOH is added it makes potassium sulfate salt. The way I did it I added enough KOH to neutralize the acid then more to act as catalyst in the base process. So my crude product had potassium sulfate and potassium hydroxide in it. I did not find information on how corrosive potassium sulfate is to steel, but potassium hydroxide might be corrosive to steel. A stainless steel storage barrel might be in order, they cost more. I do small reactions in glass. I have not moved up to doing large quantities. The web site I listed gives corrosion information for potassium hydroxide/steel.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post