BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Question on the Bio Pro process

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on the Bio Pro process
 Login/Join

posted
I saw a Bio_Pro demo a couple years ago and remember they used sulfuric acid in the beginning of the process but doon't remember if any methanol was used until the base process was started.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
4 gallons of methanol are used in the acid method
6 gallons of methanol are used in the base method

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
4 gallons of methanol are used in the acid method
6 gallons of methanol are used in the base method

These are the amounts for a Bio pro 190(190 liters or 50 gal.)? I saw some biopro chat about using 190 ml. acid and that using 360 grams of KOH will cancel out the effects of the acid. One brewer states that the acid doesn't effect titration . This is what I'm seeing with the little AE I've tried, but the opposite of some other chat.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It depends on when you introduce the Sulfuric & KOH.

The Sulfuric, if introduced at the right time (first, and with 4 gal of methanol), can effectively reduce the titration because of something called acid esterification.

The details on why this works are here:
http://biodieselcommunity.org/acidbase/

Basically, the sulfuric acid modifies free fatty acids so that they can be converted into Biodiesel.
Convert enough of them and your titration will go down (titration is just measuring how many free fatty acids there are in the oil).

However, if your oil isn't all that acidic to start with, then you're right, excess KOH will neutralize the sulfuric if it isn't used in the first reaction.

Yep. 190 mL Sulfuric
190 liters is roughly 50 gallons, hence the BioPro 190 name...

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post