BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    acid/base reaction

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

acid/base reaction
 Login/Join

posted
I don't know how to do the acid/base pre-treatment that is supposed to help increase the yield in high titrating oil . Most of my oil titrates 8-10. so I use 15- 18 grams/liter KOH. Can anybuddie explain this? Thanks!!!

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
titrate extremely dry oil. subtract 3(your goal titration) multiply by .2.Thats how much acid to use per liter. then multiply by number of liters of oil. (T-3).2*L
add the acid (slowly, it boils)to 60% of the methanol needed, and add that to your oil. Mix, check titration every hour or 2. When the titration stop dropping that is your new titration and react as normal.
If your titration starts off over 13 or 14KOH, you will need to drain 1/2 of the methanol you put in, but need to add that same amount of fresh methanol, in addition to the other 40% of your original methanol amount.
Clear as mud yet?

posted Hide Post
How do you drain off 1/2 of the methanol?

Proprietor of The Blunderbuss muzzle loading gun shop. Member of Denver Biodiesel CO-OP.

Location: lakewood, Co. | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the acid reaction creates water and salts that bond with the methanol and sink to the bottom. The layer will float if you use too much methanol though, or let it cool too much before draining

posted Hide Post
Is there any use for the drained off methanol,or just toss it on the campfire? EekCan I use muriatic acid its 34% hydrochloric acid?Thanks hooknline for your input!

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried it yet, but I think if you use a lower purity acid, you will have to increase the amount of acid used and you will end up with a lot more water.

I think that is the reason that DKenny uses Sulfuric Acid. You can get Rooto which is concentrated Sulfuric Acid at most Ace Hardware Stores. That should work for your initial batches. You may want to buy larger quantities from a chemical supplier for regular use.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heatbeater:
Can I use muriatic acid its 34% hydrochloric acid?Thanks hooknline for your input!

No. the other 66% is water. Water haults the reaction.
Sulfuric (H2SO4) is commonly available at 96% purity.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooknline:
My understanding is that the acid reaction creates water and salts that bond with the methanol and sink to the bottom. The layer will float if you use too much methanol though, or let it cool too much before draining

Esterification creates water. Acid/base reactions produce salts. Due to both Sulfuric acid and methanol's hydroscopic nature, the H2O, H2SO4, and CH3OH, remain in the same layer. H2SO4, and H2O are heavier than oil, so if you use the right (subjective wording) amount of CH3OH that layer will fall to the bottom. If you have too much methanol, it will float on the oil. Somewhere in between and it doesn't seperate.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heatbeater:
Is there any use for the drained off methanol,or just toss it on the campfire? EekCan I use muriatic acid its 34% hydrochloric acid?Thanks hooknline for your input!

You can recover the methanol from it.
DD is right also, use 98%-93% sulfuric