BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    First Timer

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Timer
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, my name is tony and I am a recovering pump diesel junkie.

After 2 years on the wagon with Biodiesel I fell off of the wagon, not even my sponsor Graham Laming could help me.

Why you might ask? Well my usual supplier went from a consistent titration of 2 to 10.5 Eek

It was a Saturday morning with a couple gallons left in the Benz when I decided to process a batch and found the accursed oil.

Frantically I searched the forum looking for the answer. Finally I saw the Dkenny/Biotom light shining dimly in the distance.

AE that was the answer!!!!!!! After some diddling with the math I had my solution, BUT...where to find sulphuric acid on a Saturday afternoon?

My searching led me finally to Lowes and an hour of searching for MSDS sheets on my android phone for the toilet cleaner that would work. 93.2 sulphuric Big Grin But would it be enough??

Driving home with the smell of pump D spewing from the Benz I had my doubts. Would it work? Could it work?

8 hours later and at a titration of 2.9 I had my answer, EUREAKA !!!!!!! It's ALIVE!!!!

All drama aside, with an acid multiplier of .15 adjusted for purity, using Naoh in a GL processor this rocks. Much less soap than I had been getting even with the good oil. Yield was better as well.

It will need some tweaking but this is the way to go.

Thanks to all that make this forum such a great place,

Tony

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3l
1983 Mercedes 300D
GL processor
You're not finished when you lose,
You're finished when you quit.

Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: April 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow another convert! Big Grin glad to hear it worked well for you. try now to reduce the acid amount, I use .65 ml/ ltr of wvo at that titration, that will reduce your finnal T and the amount of water that is created in the base stage when the acid is neutralized. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto..

I use AE for any oil over 5 KOH.. yes that low..it increases the yield..

thanks for the kind words and you're welcome. it took many years of work to get where we are today in AE.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started doing GL when it was the hot new thing and never looked back...until now.

AE adds a whole new dimention.

Tony

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3l
1983 Mercedes 300D
GL processor

Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: April 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is different using a GL processor? Would you please explain the process you used.

posted Hide Post
The process is essentially the same as we all use. Differences are that the methanol/lye are inducted through a venturi. After the reaction is complete and the glycerin drained the same venturi is used to pull vapors through a water cooled condenser to distill out the remaining methanol. Usually get about 5 liters out of a 40 gallon batch. The fuel then goes into a drum set up to bubble air through the fuel until it reaches room temp, this realeases any small amount of residual methanol from the fuel. In the absence of methanol the soaps drop out of the fuel to the bottom of the drum. Clean fuel is then pulled through a standpipe in the drum and filtered. No water is used in this process so no glop or emulsion worries.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...9605551/m/9921000191

This thread explains it much better.

Tony

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3l
1983 Mercedes 300D
GL processor

posted Hide Post
Dave ---- its quite a while since I posted on this site but since your excellent advice re the acid method I've still been processing/ experimenting with the acid method as I was two years ago but you once said --- why use acid when your oil's so good at 4KOH......
I even got to the stage where I didn't bother to do a titration check (shame on me) because my oil seemed to be quite consistant and was even down to 1.5KOH many a time but I still persisted with the Acid Method NOT LEAST BECAUSE OF THE VERY GOOD YIELD with this way of processing.
I was getting too complacent because I did the 3/27 test & found a minute residue about 5mm accross & a few thou thick in the bottom of the flask and this worried me. I didn't notice the Base Base method 'advertised' very much at all in the discussions but I realised I must have been doing something wrong in respect of 'my' acid process. No matter how much or rather how less acid I put into my 1.5 KOH oil the titration seemed to go quickly in the opposite way I wanted it to !!!!! I am still wondering why this was because I well remember seeing that the Commercial folks were using the acid method with oil down to 'my' titration & I thought if them and dKenny do it I'd better do it !
I well remember you advising that I might have water in my oil and since then I religeously de water my oil before any processing but I confess to having processed 7 X 180 ltr batches with the 'base base' method as all this oil at worst was 2.5 KOH and the result is 100% perfect.
I note you say 5 is the target figure to process with Acid and I think you always use KOH as I have always done so and if my luck runs out and I get some oil at 5 KOH I'll surely have another go at the Acid Method... Thanks for all the very good advice and may the oil you collect be of very low or at least reasonably low titration.... Regards Mick in the UK

Location: Nottingham in England | Registered: August 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post