BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    93% sulfuric OK for AE?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

93% sulfuric OK for AE?
 Login/Join

posted
Well I am going to have to figure out this AE thing before the end of the year so I have started reading that epic thread stickied at the top of this section... whew its a long one! Eek
In the mean time my new neighbor, who is a chemical salesman, said he can get me 4l of 93% sulfuric acid for nothing (my favorite price Wink ).
Is there anything wrong with using this for AE?
If I understand correctly water is an enemy of AE and I assume that the remaining 7% in the acid is water. This makes me think 93% is not so desirable but on the other hand so little acid is even used... Anyways, I am rambling, some guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes that'll work

Galen Bowen
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Springboard Biodiesel, LLC
Technical Blog:
biodieselisgood.com/tech

Location: Chico, CA | Registered: March 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
It depends on how bad your oil is. For oil that titrates below 6 or 7 KOH, I'd imagine the low grade acid will be sufficient but not desirable.

However, if your oil titrates in the 10 range (KOH), then I would make sure it is at least 95% pure..

Getting in to the higher teen's and into the twenties, you have basically no choice but to use the 98% pure stuff.

Personally, I would suggest you not use anything but the 98% pure stuff.. It makes life much easier down the road.

Also, if you want to short-circuit the learning curve, just give me a call or email your number and I'll call you (if in the USA) and I'll walk you through the process.

Believe me when I say that it is much harder to explain it in writing than it is to actually do it.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
Thanks for the offer too Murphy, much appreciated!
The free stuff is too good to be true... as usual... Roll Eyes
I have a tote full of oil that titrated at 8 NaOH last year and will probably be even higher this year. I should be able to get to that come fall...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon
nothing less than 93% for AE! and I like the price to Big Grin water and caustic contaminants are ae killers for sure. get the water content below 500 ppm, if that isn't doable you will need to add more acid. I have been using 3ml acid/ltr of t16-18 NaOH oil and it works for me wihout the added fuss of super drying the oil. Of course there is always a down side, ending t is never lower than 4NaOH or t6koh (t2 koh for each ml of acid) unless you take the time let the batch settle for a day and drain the black acid and junk from the bottom, then mix well,then titrate. If you take that much acid(3ml/ltr of oil) into the base stage yield will suffer a bit because as the acid is neutralized by the caustic WATER is produced, and as you know water reduces yield. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom!
Where do you purchase your acid from over there?
I see around here 93% is common and the 98 not so common (unless I want to buy it by the drum)....
Cheers,
Jon