BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Sulfuric acid

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sulfuric acid
 Login/Join

posted
Where do you get your sulfuric acid from. Lowes sells Easy Flow drain cleaner. The MSDS saids it is 94.19% pure, but the label states that it has 12 buffers. Can this be used for AE.
Thanks
Rockhot

posted Hide Post
If you can't find it locally, I offer it here:
http://www.utahbiodieselsupply...emicals.php#sulfuric

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try looking for ROOTO in hardware stores,lumber supply centers. Ace hardware in my area sells it. I buy it in one gallon jugs for around $25. Just make sure its the acid drain opener . There is ROOTO thats alkaline,too. I use the stuff for AE, for wvo that titrates 13 I use 1cc./liter.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If that doesn't work try a chemical supplier..
or a cement company...

I found that could buy a 15 gallon drum from my methanol supplier for $45..yep $3/gallon...SmileSmileSmileSmile..

I keep finding more uses for H2S04...its cheap...I used to pay $17/gallon at the hardware store.

what are the buffers??

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, I do not know what buffers are, but the label saids they have 12. I will try the hardware, thanks again.

Rockhot

posted Hide Post
you can buy small amounts of battery acid at the local auto parts store (and probably large battery places). But I don't know about the purity. It is probably dilute, although I wouldn't be surprised if a large battery shop would buy concentrated sulfuric in bulk.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: keelec,

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not sure where you are located(?)
I am in Central California and found a soap maker business that sells it to me for $8 for a gallon.

Soap makers also use KOH and NaOH, and they consume glycerin as well, a great connection for almost every chemical you need, if you can find one who will sell to you....

Dan

Location: Central California | Registered: April 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rooto and Liquid Fire for sulfuric acid at 90+ percent. Both are available at most Ace Hardware stores.
Battery acid is too weak at around 30 percent and adds undesirable water content.

Rule of thumb test for acid. Put a tablespoon of sugar in a small container, pour an equal amount of acid on it. If the acid is strong enough for use, the chemical reaction will turn the sugar into a pile of carbon in 60 seconds or less. It is interesting to watch.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info,what percent purity is required for AE, the easy flow is 94.19%, should this not work.

Rockhot

posted Hide Post
Rh
-yes that will work, acid needs to be 93% or higher. tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post