BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    bp-190 no reaction

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bp-190 no reaction
 Login/Join

posted
I just tried to process my 8th batch. Its been a month since my last do to a few issues, health life and others. Anyway I added my 50 gallons, did everything like I had before. I have no reaction, I guess, because i don't see any glycerine sepration on the bottom. I did not de-water like I have with some other batches. I even did a re-reaction with 700 gramns a 2gallons of meth. still same stuff in the 190. Its was close to the bottom of my methanol barrell. I do notice a discoloration like a cooppery colored rust colored substance in the view finder window of the methanol tank. never had that before, i don't know where to go from here.

03 duramax for now, 10 year TDR member 96 2500,98 3500,2004.5 3500 all Cummins power, bio pro 190

posted Hide Post
Several possibilities here:

- Water in oil
- Check titration of the oil, too high for standard (auto) 190 processing?
- Is your methoxide tank empty?
- Check filter screen inside 190 just before the methoxide pump.

Location: Melbourne, FL | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the rust on the methanol could be from the methanol hand crank pump if it is metal. Check to make sure the methoxide and methanol tanks are empty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40 Gallon 2 tank Biodiesel processors, Well built, Easy to use, Quality parts. pm for pictures and details! http://www.revolution-biodiesel.com/

Running B100 in my Ford 2004 and 2005 F-350 Ext Cab

Location: roscoe, il | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i believe both tanks are empty. I don't see anything in the site glass and the level inside the 190 is high up to the top. the oil titrated under 5 3 different stimes tested. I don't know of any methoxide screen but I will go look and see what I can see.

03 duramax for now, 10 year TDR member 96 2500,98 3500,2004.5 3500 all Cummins power, bio pro 190

posted Hide Post
RAMROD,

Both the methanol and methoxide pumps have filters inside the machine. Its detailed inside your manual - power off the machine and open the 4 screws on the face of the machine and lean it back. There isn't a stop, so be careful not to lean it back to far and not pull on the wiring harness. Right at the front of the 190 you will see the pumps. First is the methanol pump, right behind it is the methoxide pump. Unscrew the filter cap and remove the screen for cleaning. When you put it back on, watch the rubber o-ring doesn't fall off. Jim

Location: Melbourne, FL | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened both the methanol and methoxide cap an inspected. Nothing to mention in the methanol chamber, but like I stated earlier the site glass and the threads on the site glass have a rust residue, which i never say at any time before. First red flag, I then screwed of the methoxide chamber cap, because if found metal shavings in the bottom of the elbow before the entrance to the chamber itself. The weld on that elbow looks fine from the outside but the inside bottom definitly has a crack where is looks like it may have been where the shavings came from. The shavings look like stuff you would find on your dipstick when you change your oil in your car. I am very careful and I have no explanation why or how they got there. Not sure if its even a issue.

I set the heat on with the lid off to eveporate any water that might be present. both chambers are empty, plus I did the 700 grams and 2 gallons of meth in there too. I drained of 5 gallons and its just dirty brown watery material. no glycerine. its like a big batch of mixed stuff with no reaction.

Like I said I'm puzzeld. I am going to let stir over night and then re check levelto see if any water might have been in there and evaporated.

posted Hide Post
How did this turn out? I had a similar batch with the bio 190, due to a power blip gone unnoticed and the machine reset itself, so I hit wash and holysh!t what a mess of glop! How do you like your 190? I personally have never spent so much time and money on such a piece of crap. This machine "could" be good if they had spent a little time on R&D instead of just rushing it to market. If anyone from BioPro monitors this site and would like some ideas on improvements, let me know I'd be happy to share.

posted Hide Post
I'm not with Springboard, but I do own a 190 myself. What kind of problems have you had with the 'piece of ****'? I've made over 1000 gallons for myself since getting my machine in Dec of last year. Only 2 problems to date: 1) Really crappy oil, which isn't the machines fault, and 2) I've had a methoxide pump go out, which Springboard took care of in less 4 days.

quote:
Originally posted by Ragdude:
How did this turn out? I had a similar batch with the bio 190, due to a power blip gone unnoticed and the machine reset itself, so I hit wash and holysh!t what a mess of glop! How do you like your 190? I personally have never spent so much time and money on such a piece of crap. This machine "could" be good if they had spent a little time on R&D instead of just rushing it to market. If anyone from BioPro monitors this site and would like some ideas on improvements, let me know I'd be happy to share.

posted Hide Post
oh let's see, 1st was a crack in the weld on the methoxide pipe, then the main power switch went, then the methanol pump went, then a bad vibration from the impeller shaft, then the fresh water pump, then the plastic fan piece on top of thr stir motor.
Don't get me wrong, they sent replacement parts but who had to fix it? me
Not to mention it will not wash a batch by itself, granted it might be my oil but... I can wash it manually with no problem at all. I have only had the one time when seperation was an issue, as stated above, but the wash, ugh, so that's another story, and why not have a light or something that notifies you if there has been a blip in the power or something and the machine reset itself.
The machine would be so much better if instead of all those manual switches they would have simply put in a display that tells me what point in the process it's in and a jog feature. Also it would be GREAT if, with this new feature, it gave you the abilty to adjust the times and such. They could have a factory default setting and let those of us who like to tinker and tweak, set up our own custom settings.
There's more but, this is long enough.

posted Hide Post
I've had minor problems with my 190, but never NO reaction.
I have problems with the wash too. It's supposed to put 15 gallons in, but I've never gotten more than 7 or 8 per cycle. But the last wash water is always clear, so it's getting the job done.
But after spending hours per load with an appleseed, I LOVE my 190.
I would like to see an easier way to add the KOH, maybe have the port upright so a normal funnel could be used?

The more I know about biodiesel, the less I know about biodiesel.
I may come off as sarcastic or funny. That's because I am.
"You have reached Mr Medic, please leave a message after the beep. If you would like to hear this message in another language, move your ass to a country that speaks it."
Life is WAY too short to not laugh anytime you can.

Location: Houston, TX | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to mention it will not wash a batch by itself, granted it might be my oil but... I can wash it manually with no problem at all. I have only had the one time when seperation was an issue, as stated above, but the wash, ugh, so that's another story,

What do you mean it won't wash a batch by itself? Are you checking for a full conversion (3/27 test?) after reaction 2 and prior to the wash cycle? Or do you mean the machine simply won't runa wash cycle by itself?

quote:
and why not have a light or something that notifies you if there has been a blip in the power or something and the machine reset itself.
The machine would be so much better if instead of all those manual switches they would have simply put in a display that tells me what point in the process it's in and a jog feature.

I suggested that to Springboard (actually to Graydon) quite awhile ago. However the machines do not use a computer, so there isn't anything onboard to actually drive a digital display. The equipment currently in use is simply a programmable timer that they upload the timing sequence too. Adding this feature would add significant cost to the machines too.

If Springboard is listening and you do decide to add this in the future - please, please use Linux. I could not imagine Windows on a Biopro! Jim

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim R:

[quote]Adding this feature would add significant cost to the machines too.

you gotta be kidding, $8400.00 for a tank and a timer with a couple pumps and a few solinoids and you think they need to raise the price?

posted Hide Post
Ok, first off your not my customer, and I offered to assist you, yet you want to attack me by my statement?

Why didn't you answer the question regarding the wash cycle? You offered that "granted it might be my oil", so that's why I asked. If you don't have complete conversion, if your water is cold and you don't use vinegar as suggested, that's the machines fault? If your running washes manually and having success, are you running them at the same TIME as the automated cycle?

I am going to assume you are an employee and not a business owner, otherwise you would understand the costs of running one - price out the cost of stainless, fittings, controls, chemical grade pumps and materials, development costs, marketing, dealer markup, labor costs, shipping costs of incoming materials, fixed expenses such as rent, etc and you might have a better idea of why things cost what they do - no matter what the product is.

This reminds me of the posts that come about now and again of 'Why does Biodiesel at the pump cost x amount when I can make it for 3 times less?'

Same above applies - you either pay more the convenience of having your time available for other things you cherish, or you choose to spend you time making bio the old fashioned way.

quote:
quote:

you gotta be kidding, $8400.00 for a tank and a timer with a couple pumps and a few solinoids and you think they need to raise the price?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If that's all there is to it, why didn't you just make one for yourself? Also, how is it Springboard's fault that you start a wash without checking for conversion? Should the machine check for you?

I have a 190, it makes great fuel, isn't foolproof, but the ease of use/time savings it offers is the main reason why I can make my own fuel.

Ramrod - I didn't dewater my first batch in the 190 and had to reprocess two times to make it work correctly. The following batches, I dewater and the machine works as advertised. The glycerin from the previous batch works great to pretreat subsequent batches in the 190. I highly recommend it!

Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: November 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post