BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    HELP!! ~200 gallons of oil titrate ~ 25 NaOH
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!! ~200 gallons of oil titrate ~ 25 NaOH
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Marky
-AE still works at 100f, but it is much slower. if your not in any hurry, heat and mix let sit another night to see what happens.
-don't add anymore acid, this would result in a higher ending T. and you already have the ffa on the run!!! Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...dang! I got impatient, drained ~ 3.5 gallons, mixed 132ml acid with 3.5 gallons of methanol and am mixing and heating more right now. (Started with oil at about 135F. After draining I stirred it up for a few minutes and titrated at 4.7.

Wish I had been more patient and waited for your advice.

I should add that when i drained, I drained VERY slowly, and the first 1 - 1.5 gallons was really runny clearish but brown, and the last 2 - 2.5 gallons looked like oil to me. And it seems like it would have been pretty easy to make sure the watery stuff was out and left almost all the oil in. But I figured this lowest oil was prety high titrating/yicky, so i went ahead ang drained the 3.5ish gallons (I am "eyeballing" the 3.5 ish gallons into a five gallon pail.).

Hope I did not mess this batch up by running more acid into it/another AE run.

posted Hide Post
Marky,
I hope you're think about setting up methanol recovery..most of what you drained in methanol..if distilled you can use it again..

otherwise..take a step back 19 to 4.5 NaOH for the first try..GREAT JOB!!! Big Grin

to add a little depth to Tom's answer about not adding more ACID...
if you add more acid the theoretical minimum GOES UP...so either add more methanol or drain before more acid..just a guide line..the more batches the more you'll learn

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
about 18 hours or so after the second AE run, no draining or stirring, bottom sample was 3.7. I heated and (a little bit) pump stirred a couple more times since and (last night), I was down to 2.7. It is cold now and I am going to claim victory on this batch. I amy drain a little bit from the bottom, just to see what is there, then stir it and do a final measurement (I will guess stirred up it is going to be 2.5ish). I may also seperate the liquid gunk from the oil rom my first draining and titrate it, and if not too high (and I have good confidence in my seperation), I will add this back into the batch before base processing.

Now i have to figure out the 80/20 or 90/10 base process (My previous history I alomost exclusivbely did single stage processing.

In any case, I am certain i am done adding acide to this batch, and have high confidence now that I can process high (at least 19) titrating oil.

Thanks for the help.....it was "big time".

Next batch (I do have more bad oil) I am going to follow Tom's advice and use more time on the first AE (heat and mix a few more times before draining the nasty liquid on the bottom)

posted Hide Post
Earlier in this post Sullens referred to a 70+ page post, does anyone know which post he is speaking of?
Thanks.

Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post