BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Esterfication in the tote

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Esterfication in the tote
 Login/Join

posted
My oil supplies have all pretty much gotten to the point that I an esterfying every batch. And that part is SO SLOW that now that I will be back on B100 all summer, and with diesel at $4, I need to know 30-35gal will be complete every weekend. I'm rolling over in my head again how to expand. I am more or less out of floor space, so the idea of just doubling up on processors is out.

But what if...

I have 2 totes, so I can actively have one settling and one that I can declare "settled enough". So say I drain what has settled and tuck a small water heater, say a dinky little 10gal or something, on the wall over the tote, and just have it circulating and heating all the time running an acid stage at a lower temperature and at the smallest methanol volume I could could mix the maximum acid into?

Totes aren't exactly insulated, so it won't hold a high temp with any efficiency, but it would be able to just slowly run and always be reducing titration value a bit at a time all week.

Or maybe I skip the outside tank and just rig a heater spear with an impeller on it for circulation. It wouldn't need enough speed to get the tote rolling, just enough to keep it moving. But, boy, that would be a lot of methanol...

Hmmmmm....how about a separate tank pulling oil in and out, keeping the heat and methanol in a small volume but actively swapping out WVO with the tote? The methanol floats on the WVO if left undisturbed, I could trickle WVO in the top, pass it though the methanol layer, return it to the tote through the bottom. The addition of cool WVO to a warm tank wouldn't be so much the heating element couldn't keep up, maybe, and if I could figure out how to actively trickle in methanol to maintain an acid-rich layer...

Yeah, or maybe I'm just completely off my rocker and by the time I figure all that out it will end up at way more shop floor space and cost than just building another processor.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can you change you processor setup to run HOT..are around 160-170F?
AE times are much shorter at those temps..

what are your typical titrations?

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I might get some methanol boiling, but I have a long (4ft), vertical air vent tube that should condense and let it run back in.

What I am seeing has been a pretty steady state 9ml KOH. Couple have been 7-8ml. One at 11ml.

My brother wants in on my brewing now, so he is putting up some cash and time to help me expand. So it looks like I'll be shuffling some stuff to make space for a second processor and a triple-pack of wash tanks. He better be able to assist in securing enough oil or this is going to be a short lived endeavor!

I'm going to have to teach him how to operate the Super Sucker...

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post