BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    New to AE and appleseed Processor

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to AE and appleseed Processor
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all,

I have been making BD with an appleseed processor for a few years now along with a KOH caustic wash which help reduce my titration from 9 to 5.5

1. I am now considering AE and my concern is how quickly will it eat away at the heating element; to date I tend to burn 1 every 2 years or so.

2. How well can the inner protection of the hot water tank (ceramic coating I believe) hold out?

3. Do I technically have to use stainless steel tubes or is pvc good enough?

TIA

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is it even worth the hassle of changing my entire system.

eg. I usually process 180L, approximately 70L of byproduct and after the caustic was end up with 35L of byproduct.

I purchased some oil once and it titrated at 3 and there was very little byproduct, something like 10L-12L. A very high yield.

Less byproduct the better...

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I usually process 180L, approximately 70L of byproduct and after the caustic was end up with 35L of byproduct

Wow that yield sucks!
You don't have to worry about the tank or the elements being effected by the sulfuric acid. I did AE for many years, (every batch) and had no problems what so ever with equipment degradation caused by the acid.
MOST important part of AE, make sure there is no residual caustic material in your processor. This is every hard to accomplish so a separate tank for AE is recommended. Then make SURE your oil is dry, less than 500 PPM!

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post