BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    pump for acid base processor

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pump for acid base processor
 Login/Join

posted
Due to decreased oil quality I am planning to switch from just base to acid/base processing. I have spent some time reveiwing the archives but it is not clear to me which pump will be suitable for the acid stage. I plan to obtain or construct a stainless steel acid treatment tank to process about 250L (60gal) batches.
I would appreciate pump advice and recommendations.

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
A dedicated esterification tank will require a stainless steel or plastic pump. I don't see any way around it.

When I say plastic, I'm not referring to a cheap PVC spa or pool pump, I'm talking about something made of Ryton or other similar industrial duty material that can easily withstand the temperature.

Here's an example on my website:
http://www.murphysmachines.com/MAGdrivepump.html

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
You'd want to verify specs but this one should do what you want:
Looks like a mini version of the little giant pumps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARCH-...&hash=item1e709eb544

Here's another possible candidate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MA...&hash=item519fd4eb61

This one looks really interesting also but again, you'll need to check specs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherwo...&hash=item2a203a80d1

Best to find a stainless pump but they cost a lot of money.

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
you can use the nt pump, but fill the acid esterfication tank with fresh oil after draining the esterfied oil to the processor this reducess the acidity in the acid esterfication tank and pump. I am using 2 100 lb propane tanks welded together and the nt pump. Murphy pump for the processer though. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Murphy & Biotom, Thanks for the pump advice, search in progress.

posted Hide Post
ok..so I haven't been around for a while...

pumps..for AE..

yes Murphy has it right..stainless or plastic..

think magentic drive pumps..with and HC rating...
HC - high corrosive..

little giant makes several models..
Te5
Te7..I have both..both from Ebay cheaper than new..

down side..cold oil..they don't pump it as well if at all..check the spec...cold oil is like pump against a high head pressure..

for me I've changed my last pump seal on my water heater reactor..nothing has lasted..
no due to AE but methanol recovery and high temps..combine that with lower production needs
the 2 plastic tanks with the TE5/Te7 pump. they can handle the making..I'll use the water heater for methanol recovery only(no pump)

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkenny:
ok..so I haven't been around for a while...

pumps..for AE..

yes Murphy has it right..stainless or plastic..

think magentic drive pumps..with and HC rating...
HC - high corrosive..

little giant makes several models..
Te5
Te7..I have both..both from Ebay cheaper than new..

down side..cold oil..they don't pump it as well if at all..check the spec...cold oil is like pump against a high head pressure..
-dkenny

I sell the TE7 on my website here:
http://www.murphysmachines.com/MAGdrivepump.html

I also sell the TE5 for $550 or something like that but it's not on the website yet.

Both are top of the line pumps and are hard to beat on quality. You get what you pay for.

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick G:
Due to decreased oil quality I am planning to switch from just base to acid/base processing. I have spent some time reveiwing the archives but it is not clear to me which pump will be suitable for the acid stage. I plan to obtain or construct a stainless steel acid treatment tank to process about 250L (60gal) batches.
I would appreciate pump advice and recommendations.

http://www.harborfreight.com/h...ered-pump-98384.html

Try this one. Its for chemicals.

Long as you don't pump pure acid you can use a lot of different types of pumps. Just run fresh oil, methanol or water through it when you are done. keep in mind in the acid stage you should never have a solution that is stronger than 1% acid. I think a lot of people use 200-300 ml acid for 100 liter oil. I use about 2000ML Acid for 100 liters oil mixed in 300-400 liters methanol and my solution is still has less than half of a percent of acid.

Biodiesel for cleaner air and fuel independence!
(502) 272-6333

Location: Indiana | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread is from last year, your replying a bit late...
That pump is not for chemicals and I would recommend NOT using that for anything related to biodiesel processing never mind AE lol
That pump would be suitable to pump antifreeze to winterize a trailer or cottage, thats about it...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Heron:
This thread is from last year, your replying a bit late...
That pump is not for chemicals and I would recommend NOT using that for anything related to biodiesel processing never mind AE lol
That pump would be suitable to pump antifreeze to winterize a trailer or cottage, thats about it...
Cheers,
Jon

Opps i looked at the date wrong

This pump is good for solvents, oils, insecticides and fertilizers. Its said this right in the ad and on the package the pump came in. It cost 13.

Here is what it says in the ad.

This heavy drill powered pump is great for the home, garden, farm, boats, cars and more! The pump easily attaches to an electric drill or AC/DC motor with a coupler and is resistant to water, corrosion, heat and wear. With a 650 GPH delivery rate, this pump is suitable for use with fresh or seawater, solvents, oils, insecticides and fertilizers.

(502) 272-6333

posted Hide Post
Your joking right?
Besides the fact that this pump is a tiny drill pump made of plastic, you still think its suitable?? For what, 2 litre batches?
In the quoted text you posted from the add, nowhere does it say its a chemical resistant pump...
Corrosion resistant means the cheap steel in it has been treated, likely with zinc to avoid rusting, coincidentally biodiesel will eat any type of zinc or galvanized coating off in no time.
Biodiesel, acid, methanol, caustic and high temperatures are not mentioned anywhere, obviously...
I still think you must be joking suggesting this pump, either that or you specialize in making 1L test batches of biodiesel using a drill...
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Heron:
Your joking right?
Besides the fact that this pump is a tiny drill pump made of plastic, you still think its suitable?? For what, 2 litre batches?

This is no baby pump. It takes about 1/2 to 3/4 hp motor to run this pump and it pumps 650 GPH (10.83 gallon a minuted). This is the same speed as real common 3/4 hp pump used in lots of biodiesel setups. Below in the link. This pump is being sold on ebay for bio-disel setups.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3...ater-pump-69297.html

quote:

In the quoted text you posted from the add, nowhere does it say its a chemical resistant pump...

resistant to corrosion, heat and wear.

pump is suitable for use with
fresh or seawater
solvents,
oils,
insecticides
fertilizers.

solvents, oils, fertilizers These can be very harsh chemicals. far as I know there are no metal in the pump that comes into contact with what its pumping.

quote:

Corrosion resistant means the cheap steel in it has been treated, likely with zinc to avoid rusting, coincidentally biodiesel will eat any type of zinc or galvanized coating off in no time.

Corrosion resistant never means cheap steel coated in zinc. Corrosion resistant more often than not often applies to plastics and rubbers.

quote:

Biodiesel, acid, methanol, caustic and high temperatures are not mentioned anywhere, obviously...
I still think you must be joking suggesting this pump,
Jon

You are wrong.
The ad stated its for fertilizers and fertilizers can be very caustic and acidic. It also listed solvents and methanol is a solvent so it does cover methanol. Anything that is made to pump Salt water, solvents, oils,insecticides, and fertilizers is definitely a chemical pump.

(502) 272-6333

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Well its cheap enough you can always fit a new one every couple of weeks, just watch out for the commutator sparks from the drill motor igniting methanol vapors!

I regularly do acid base, (Two 160 liter batches every month) and the pump on my tank is a Clarke TAM105 1" 230V Centrifugal Water Pump £58 Clarke pump, ok it has a brass impeller on a cast iron housing, but but the acid is so weak that it doesn't seem to efect it. I periodically strip it down every 6 months or so, but so far i haven't found any corrosion from either the acid or base stages and its now about 3 years old. no point spending more on a stainless steel pump unless your system is running 24/7 and down time cost you serious money.

VW Passat 2.0 TDI with a BKP engine 86,000 miles on B100 and not going strong. Bio-diesel broke oil pump drive shaft! ..No oil pressure, dead turbo.

Location: Calne, Wiltshire, England | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post