Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Homebrew Acid-Base Biodiesel Recipes

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/629605551/m/348109642

September 10, 2009, 07:19 PM
mabecker
Homebrew Acid-Base Biodiesel Recipes
quote:
my method is also based on FATTA and ISU. for this reason I didn't try to copyright or patent it. I gave it back freely because so many helped me when I was learning.

Mr Denny I have a question about your formula.

In it you state that if over 14 titration KOH we drain off half of the glycerol that is equal to half the methanol added. You then state to add an additional 6% since that is half of the original 12%.

My question is aren't you actually only draining off (6%/112%) = 5.4% of the original 12% which is equal to 12%(.054) = 0.65% of the original methanol. For this reason do we really need to add so much more methanol since we have not really lost 6%?

The only reason I can think of that we would add that much more is if all of the non-converted methanol is resident in the glycerol.

Since we do not have methanol recovery in our shop I am trying to keep costs down.

Any guidance in this area would be welcomed.

Thanks

Mike Becker
CNF America Inc
cnfamerica.com
dkenny
mabecker,

draining is needed over 18. less than 14 its not.. now somewhere between the two drain is needed.

the amount..
first its not glycerol that being drained. its water, methanol, and acid. glycerol is one of the byproducts of the base stage

I drain about 1/2 not 6%..1/2 is of the initial methanol in the acid stage so it not 6% of the total. and the amount changes as the titration increases. think about the amount of water created if the initial titration was 40 instead of 18.
I also add back the amount drained..which technically isn't all methanol..

if your worried about costs..
methanol recovery is a must. food for thought
for my given batch size I get 4 batches per drum of methanol using good oil..with recovery( only from glycerin) I get 5 batches.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile
pirocop
Hi there, I need some help to reduce a super high titration of 30+ WVO down to a good level so i can make biodiesel. The reason why the tritration is so high is because i bought the WVO from oil refinery shop in china, and he add in acid just to make the WVO looks better (yes i am currently in china thinking of doing biodiesel business)

Anyway, my first 2 batch failed, since i used the 1 stage process. first patch i only used 4g of NaOH, which no reaction. Second patch i used 34g of NaOH....lucky i am still alive.., anyway that turn the whole 1 litre oil to a solo soap? =)

I just come across this forum an notice that i should be using this FATTA method, to reduce the acid first.

But my question is:
1) Will this method actually reduce a high tritration such as 30+ to like 3?
2) How long do i have to wait until it drops to 3?
3) anyone welling to give me a more detail instruction? I am pretty sure the WVO I have now, must require some special instruction.
4) Do i have to drain anything during the tritration reduction process?

Any help will be great

thanks.
girl mark
Make a new post and start a new thread, please...
pirocop
HI guys! I just used the dkenny method about * 0.2

I got my horrible WVO from 44 titration down to 15.44! It's reacted more than 9 hours, then i had to sleep and couldn't keep the temperature at 55.

My target is 3 titration. Shall i pour the methanol+acid+water out and add in fresh methanol+acid and let it react again? Or i should just heat it up to 55, and let it react for longer?

Please help, this is getting progress!
domusbiofuel
hi
this is all new to me, but i need smoe help as i have 60 MT of 54%ffa sunflower acid oil to turn into bio diesel. someone posted a reply like this
'since 54% FFA is about 95KOH.
I'd suggest 2 stages
95 - 40 * 0.2ml = for acid during the first acid stage. use the same 12% for methanol'.
can anyone relate this in plain english?
thanks
September 30, 2009, 09:51 PM
stephanhw
Hi guys,

I am very interested in trying the acid/base process and feel comfortable with dkennys methods.
My question is more related to after the process if one dry washes intead of water /mist wash , will there be any sulfuric acid in the biodiesel ? when using acid does it matter how you wash the biodiesel drywash via resin tower or ecopure , or must you mist/water wash ? any advise would be greatly appreciated. I use 6 5"dia*60" lenth towers filled with hardwood chips cycled for 30 minutes then single pass through 2 ecopure2 drywash towers of same size then pass through Schroeder Cold Clear Filtration system with great results. The oil I get titrates between 7-14 KOH so my yields are not great and man do I have a supply of Glycerol, so this Acid Base method sounds very good to me especially if it means more yield less soap

Stephan