BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Sulfuric Acid

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sulfuric Acid
 Login/Join

posted
I live in a remote area in and can not get 95 - 98% pure Sulfuric Acid.

Loads of 35% here however.

So, the question is ... can I use double or triple the amount of this 35% source? If so, what are the negatives?

Thanks,
Bill

posted Hide Post
No, the remaining % will be mostly water. look for drain cleaner in a hardware or similar store often that will be 95-98% sulfuric acid. Be careful!

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I looked at all such stores here in St. John's (Rona, Kent, Dominion, Can Tire, Home Depot, etc, etc) no luck. Which brand did you buy? The local chemical supply place, East Chem, does not carry it either. I may have to make a trip on the Ferry to the mainland to get supplies - not sure if Marine Atlantic will be receptive?? No KOH here either. Pure methanol is also very expensive. Etc. Etc.

But while waiting for a response, I processed a batch with the 35% stuff. My goal was a 4, but the batch went from 7 NaOH to 6. And now I have 2 inches of brown cream on top in my 200L drum. My plan was to scoop the cream of the top and proceed with the 2nd base stage. Or, should I just leave the cream there?? Thoughts?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!! Really, thanks!

Bill

posted Hide Post
personally I would just base/base process this batch knowing there will be lots of soap and a reduction in yield. if you are water washing your biodiesel, after second base reaction and after 3/27 pass, add 5% water to the processor before draining the byproduct, mix /settle drain this will remove a lot of soap.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you cant get any concentrated sulfuric acid then caustic stripping might be an alternative as this only requires NaOH and water. You can read up on the process here.
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...7078823/m/3897002473
You dont need to read the whole thread, the last 3 pages have the information you need.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post