BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    When to acid wash

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When to acid wash
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all,

Is there a legitimate reason to acid wash oil titrating at 4.2 KOH? My batch size is 36 gallons. Other than the added time to process and the cost of the acid is there a reason not to acid wash. Will I gain anything other than a slight reduction in KOH used? Maybe a better yield or less soap to wash out?

Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stevep,

first its not washing..its esterification..the acid stage makes biodiesel..

now at your 4ish titration its border line..I have lowered mine to T5KOH..
why?
one some batches that I have run that were T5 i got 100% yield. instead of less.
sure the processing time is longer. even if all goes well.

I know..so far I haven't answered your question, but I hope I've given you insight to when and why I use AE.. 4.2 is border line. if you're trying to learn AE this might be agood place to start.
make sure the oil DRY!! HPT is the start of dry enough..the cleaner the better. yes filter to 50micron or less!! the crap in the oil hold water and junk that changes the amount of acid needed.

at 4.2T KOH I would suggest 0.3mls of acid or less per liter. if you have doubt on the amount of acid USE LESS..you can always add more..you cannot remove acid.. fyi #mls of acid * 2.2 will get you the titration cause by the acid.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks dkenny,

I will AE this batch and compare the results.

Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
please keep us posted.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post