BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    acid then base, no glycerin?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

acid then base, no glycerin?
 Login/Join

posted
Ok, a little help here if you can. I just finished up a WBD batch that so far has yeilded no glycerin. Has anyone ever had this happen?

oil titrated at 6 naoh htae finished at 1.9 (which is a little higher than normal, usually at 1.3 after acid. added naoh and methanol as usual, then demethed whole batch. When I started to drain the glycerin, I got none! The fuel is a little darker than the norm, but not as dark as other batches. I seem to have gotten a bit more than 50% of my methanol back during demething. the fuel passes 3/27 with no drop out, but is a little soapy for WBD soaps are at about 2000 ppm in the processor. typical is around 300- 500 with WBD for us. our old method using single base no aid, and separate dementhing would regularly yield 2000-3000 numbers.

Where do I go from here?
I didn't check this batch for neutrality before demething, because the last 10 needed no sulfuric, is it possible I had reversal?

Wouldn't that show up in 3/27? I had absolutely no drop out.

I've only been using htae for about 4 months, I have noticed reduced soap numbers and glycerin ammounts, but I have no glycerin in this batch.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Thanks again for the help.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had that happen only when I have made a mistake and seriously under-reacted. I didn't run a 3/27 on it though, I just determined how I screwed up and added another 5L methanol with an appropriate amount of additional catalyst. I think I added (7.8g/2) per liter, figuring the FFA should be all neutralized, and the original base amount is already in there, minus what was consumed by my mistake, so half the base amount is as logical as anything.

Another hour of mixing and it all dropped out normally.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm certain I put in enough lye and methanol, so I'm at a loss. looks like good fuel, just is a little soapier than usual, with the normal yield of fuel. I let it set over night after demething, I'm going to check it later to see if it dropped.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post