BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    acid stripping after acid esterfication

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

acid stripping after acid esterfication
 Login/Join

posted
tried acid stripping yesterday, after acid esterfication with the following results:

sample 1 "T" after acid esterfication

-ph of sample............ 1.4
-T = 1.25gr KOH

sample 2 "T" after acid stripping with byproduct
-ph of sample............. 8.0
-T = .75gr KOH
so on the surface it seems that there is some benifit to acid stripping, but from my test, it's not worth the effort
-Problems: after adding 30 ltr of byprodut into 150 ltr of acid treated wvo, mixed 3 hrs and settled 3 hrs the byproduct separated from the oil, only down to the 80ltr mark in the processor. I let it settle overnite but still no further separation. I drained off 30 ltr of byproduct and obviously wvo mix. then proceeded with single base stage processing. after 1.5 hrs the reaction wasn't quite finished so I reprocessed, the end result passed, BUT I was short about 20 ltr of bio. I assume this was lost when I drained the byproduct. I'm sure if the byproduct wasn't suspended in the oil this batch would have passed 3/27 after the first base stage. I also think that adding more byproduct would have resulted in a better drop out rate. The bottom line here, this saved me about $.27 on KOH for this batch Big Grin Big Grin. Have to try this on wvo without acid stripping and see what happens. submitted FYI Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is acid stripping?

Location: Illinois | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
reducing the titration value of the acid added after the acid esterfication has done its thing. Thanks for the info Tom. I saw the same thing. Dropped the T but not enough to be worth the effort.

posted Hide Post
Biotom,

Your up coming test is what I was referring to when we talked earlier.
Pre-treat the WVO with the last batch of glycerin then do the acid/base/base as usual.

I would test a batch but all my glycerin is from a 5% pre-wash. With the low T you already have I don’t think it will make that much difference. When I do a fresh batch I will test it also.

Thanks for all your work, keep us posted

Tim

Location: Central Oregon | Registered: May 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teepee

My wvo T's at 8 - 10 thats why I do the acid treatment. acidding has lowered the T from 8 to 1.125 after 12 hrs with heat on. I will try acid stripping on my T 8 oil and see if it comes down, then follow that with the acid treatment I'm not sure what to expect, but I enjoy testing different proceedures. I will post to this thread in the coming week I have to go for more wvo Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im not really good at chemistry, but I think you will find that if you use the glycerine pretreat, then the acid stage, that the acid stage will not work nearly as well if at all. The acid will be neutralizing what was done by the glycerine pretreat. Im still curious to see how that goes though, I could be way off base(no pun intended)