BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Solid Catalyst Esterification
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solid Catalyst Esterification
 Login/Join

posted
Right now We successfull to do Esterification with solid Catalyst"Amberlyst resin". I can reduce 15%FFA in Crude Palm Oil(Pre-Treatmented) to 0.6%FFA after Settling Wet MeOH on the Top layer I drain Esterified Oil to go to Trans-Esterification.

ImageCPO-Ester-Trans-esterification.gif (72 Kb, 349 downloads)

posted Hide Post
After 2 hour mixing we measure FFA value we found That We can reduce from 15% to 0.6%

ImageAmberlyst.gif (16 Kb, 297 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Interesting results... but I have a few questions...
1.how much methanol you use in this process?
2. You use dry methanol or wet methanol...or during the process you produce water so at the end of the esterification the methanol layer is wet??
3. You use Crude palm oil with a pretreatment..what kind of pretreatment you give to the oil??
4. It's reusable the amberlyst resin??..it's expensive?? how much amberlite you use?

Thanks

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post

Location: The Deep South | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quemala

Dear quemala

In the lab with batch reactor It's need more methanol about time to time between Pretreatment palm Oil / Methanol / Catalyst because It's to well mixing by magnetic bar.
2. You use dry methanol or wet methanol...or during the process you produce water so at the end of the esterification the methanol layer is wet?
Yes You can use wet MeOH MV=<2500 PPM but Dry MeOH baster. End of Reaction as same as sulfuric acid Catalyst Esterification, water was producing by Esterification Reaction betweeb FFA+MeOH = ME+H2O sothat If 15%FFA will create 3%Water mix with surplus MeOH.
3. You use Crude palm oil with a pretreatment..what kind of pretreatment you give to the oil?
Pretreatment Palm Oil mean half of Refine Palm Oil (Deguming+Bleaching+Filtering)
4. It's reusable the amberlyst resin??..it's expensive?? how much amberlite you use?
I think So because Acid Catalyst Esterification you can not use SST316 to make Reactor.

Thanks

ImageCPO-Ester-Trans-esterification.gif (74 Kb, 158 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Hi H2oil...thanks for the answers...I just dont't understand what's SST316 ?? the type of amberlyst you use??

posted Hide Post
Dear quemala
SST316 is Stanless steel which can work well in Transesterification process for example Biodiesel Dry Tank. but SST316 may be not resist heavy corrosive of H2So4 catalyst id acid eaterification process normally you will use Glass linning Reactor which very expensive than SST316L too.

posted Hide Post
the type of amberlyst you use?

we test with amberlyst70

posted Hide Post
Dear Quemala
sorry to reply you to late.
I tested Amberlyst BD20 Solid Catalyst Esterification with Pre-Treated Palm Oil.Is is very high Esterification Efficiency than other Amberlyst too.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers!!

posted Hide Post
Dear H2oil,
What temperature are you reacting this at??

Thanks,

Billybob

Mosaic Biodiesel Enterprise is committed to powering the globe with earth and people friendly biodiesel...one gallon at a time.

Location: ann arbor, mi | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me again,

Just thought I'd ask if you've used a coalescing filter to run the methanol/methylesters/triglyceride mixture through to separate the layers??

Thanks again.

Mosaic Biodiesel Enterprise is committed to powering the globe with earth and people friendly biodiesel...one gallon at a time.

Location: ann arbor, mi | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Dear All
I'm sorry to reply all slowly.Temperature during test Esterification Reaction with Solid Catalyst = 65 C. but I industrial design R&H recomended operation condition should be Tc =100 C , Pressure =8 Kg/Cm2g
coalescing filter very expencive you can used Settling Tank or Hor. Decanter is bester.

posted Hide Post
Hello h2oil. How much is price of amberlyst resin.

Location: Lima peru | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear COCO
I'm not Rohm and Haas Sale people but You can contact them via www.amberlyst.com
for my idea operation cost of Catalyst not more than 12.5 USD/ 1000 liter of Biodiesel from pre-Treated Palm Oil.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oil:
Dear COCO
I'm not Rohm and Haas Sale people but You can contact them via www.amberlyst.com
for my idea operation cost of Catalyst not more than 12.5 USD/ 1000 liter of Biodiesel from pre-Treated Palm Oil.

Location: Lima peru | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After many tries I got Rohm & Haas to return my call, and they were unwilling to sell me BD20. Has anyone here actually purchased it, or have you been using samples?

Location: Ellensburg WA USA | Registered: December 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hola soy Jorge Zegarra de Peru, espero que alguien entienda español. Como hago para conseguir amberlyst bd 20 resina. de Rohms and haas. En Peru es muy dificil conseguir esta resina. he escrito a R and Hass y no me responden en absoluto. Gracias por su ayuda. La resina la requiero para realizar una esterificacion acida para FAA y Metanol. Alguna otra alternativa para resinas de tratamiento de agua
Saludos Jorge

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oil:
quote:
quemala

[U]Dear quemala

In the lab with batch reactor It's need more methanol about time to time save fuel between Pretreatment palm Oil/Methanol/save fuel Catalyst because It's to well mixing by magnetic bar.
2. You use dry methanol or wet methanol...or during the process you produce water so at the end of the esterification the methanol layer is wet?
Yes You can use wet MeOH MV=<2500 PPM but Dry MeOH baster. End of Reaction as same as sulfuric acid Catalyst Esterification, water was producing by Esterification Reaction betweeb FFA+MeOH = ME+H2O sothat If 15%FFA will create 3%Water mix with surplus MeOH.
3. You use Crude palm oil with a pretreatment..what kind of pretreatment you give to the oil?
Pretreatment Palm Oil mean half of Refine Palm Oil (Deguming+Bleaching+Filtering)
I think So because Acid Catalyst Esterification you can not use SST316 to make Reactor.

Thanks[/U]

Thanks for confirming this. Me and my uncle use to argue a lot whether to use a wet methanol or the dry stuff. Though, I really need to do a little research during the esterification.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drewtiss,

Location: Alabama | Registered: December 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi drewtiss

Espero que entiendas un poquito de español ,mandaste saludos pero no tengo claro lo de la resina amberlyst bd 20