BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Acid turns oil to dark color
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acid turns oil to dark color
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
I noticed in one of your last posts you said you were using 3ml H2SO4 per litre WVO and mixing for 3 hours. So you have dropped that down to an hour or so of mixing.

selective reading hmmm. I posted the results of using more acid as a possible way to process oil to take some of the unreliability out of the results for those who wanted to try the process. I don't use that much acid as a rule. I don't use the formula base on m weights either.

I know the information is in the ae thread, I posted it for buckeye.

"With an endpoint titration of 0.75- 1, it shows that most of the H2SO4 has settled to the bottom of your reactor overnight."

yes , most of the acid slowly sinks to the bottom overnight, you failed to mention the ffa, nice result from oil titrating at 16 without continuous mixing eh! so much for your theory, Confused For those who do ae, mixing throughout the process is only required if you are doing high temp (165f) AE. In this situation mixing is required to keep the evaporated and condensed methanol mixed in otherwise it just floats on top of the oil this process only takes a couple hours.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow, looks like I shook a hornet nest with a simple question/ problem. Oops that was not my intention. So.......... my original problem persists, I have taken high titrating oil and made it titrate higher by adding methanol and acid. Where do I go from here ??? Still curious about venting.

Now all lets play nice Smile

Location: yes | Registered: July 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:

yes , most of the acid slowly sinks to the bottom overnight, you failed to mention the ffa, nice result from oil titrating at 16 without continuous mixing eh! so much for your theory, Confused For those who do ae, mixing throughout the process is only required if you are doing high temp (165f) AE. In this situation mixing is required to keep the evaporated and condensed methanol mixed in otherwise it just floats on top of the oil this process only takes a couple hours.

Mixing is very important in my process. But than again i am using 30-40 times more methanol than what most folks uses. In my method if its not agitated right the FFA wont get reduced. The acid and methanol stays on top of my FFA if not mixed. In some cases it will take 100 times longer to process without agitation.

I believe when using high temperature like around 464F it is no loner necessary to use agitation.

Biodiesel for cleaner air and fuel independence!
(502) 272-6333

Location: Indiana | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now all lets play nice

BB when tilley or one of his clone chirp it is never nice. I will be happy to give you advice based on my experience, but not on this thread, I don't have the patients for -holes! Feel free to email me. Tom

Samuel I agree you would have to mix continuously with that amount of methanol. You can email me as well, I would like to test your process on lad scale batches. Did you know you can lower titration by simply washing the uvo with methanol? Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:

I would like to test your process on lad scale batches. Did you know you can lower titration by simply washing the uvo with methanol?

I am working with a company that uses glycerin to dry oil and reduce the FFA. If I understood him right, he gets the titration down from 14 to 5 using only waste glycerin.

Biodiesel for cleaner air and fuel independence!
(502) 272-6333

Location: Indiana | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post