BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    This is how I do it. Any comments will help.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is how I do it. Any comments will help.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi there.
First time caller long time listener. Just wanted to say thanks for all the awesome info from you guys and gals. Very Informative. Very helpfull. Thank you very much.

OK
Step 1
I have 2 60G induction barrels with an in-line heater. and a third Barrel for methoxide mixin. (Pics soon)

I take crap oil T20+ heat to 140f, cool, and drain water.
Reheat to 140f Hit it with acid. First starting with 100ml per litre methanol.Add first. Then 1.7H2o4s ( Sulfuric Acid) + depending on the reaction. Ive tried all sorts of mixs(1.0 - 2.0) but now watch for a certain kind of reaction and stop adding acid there.. I mix the methanol in first as not to blow my pretty face off.

Next after all the bubbling and boiling is done is the base process after I get my titration amount down to T.4 NAOH. I use NAOH cause I think its harder and this makes me have to be on it a bit more. Accuracy and cleanliness is the most important aspects to this process.

So (5grams NAOH) being the base amount 5.4 after(T) and (100ml per ltr) I use 200ml methanol total. Just cause I havent needed more yet.

Drain glycerol which is runny still when cold (Is an issue Please comment)
Wash, which is a little long( Which is an issue Please comment)
Dry. So heat and serve. 130ish F. The finished product is golden brown like syrup and passes a basic water test but could be cleaner. Lots cleaner. lol but I'll run it. lol for now.

SOOOOOo. Any comments would be greatly appreciated good or bad. Im a big boy so let me have it. I dont bruise easy. lol Take care and thanks again for all your help.

Don't worry about it. Its just a phase!

Location: Vancouver Island | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the final product cloudy or what? If so you probably dont let it dry long enough take a small sample and microwave it and see if it turns clear. if so then its wet. Also, if washing is giving you difficultes try using less NAOH you may be making too mush soap. I only use 3.5 + tiration 90/10 in two seperate reactions, i never need a third while doing base/base but when useing acid sometimes three bases is nessasary which i think is because of all the water present.

posted Hide Post
None of this makes amy sense to me.
-bubbling, bioling,brown biodiesel
-did this batch pass 3/27
-heating wvo to 140 and allowing it to cool will not remove sufficient water for the ae process
-T.4 nooh I don't get it? this seems impossable with the process as detailed Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bubbling and boiling meaning when the acid and methanol mix in with the oil there is a funky reaction that looks like a rolling boil.

I bring the WVO to 140 then let cool. The water is left at the bottom witch (halloween and all) is quite a significant amount. I drain that and try a sample test ( heat a cup of WVO or so to see if it spatters) Most of the time it does not.

Yes My finished product is cloudy but after awhile ( couple weeks ) it clears up in the barrel.

(Titration 4 sorry), from T20 or more after a day or two. Brownish like a golden brown like syrup color but definatly not as thick as syrup nor as dark. lol Bad example I guess.

The longer I leave the ae it seems the better but it has to be warm. It seems to not work at all if its cold.

I hope this clears some confusion up. I'm not the pro but I am making bio-fuel.

Recently I have lost my bio dome location so now I am re - setting up again. Thats another story not for this forum. lol

Have a good day Ohhh

And I will try less NAOH when Im back up and running. Thanks for the tip. Might save on washing time.

And as for washing I do it by hand for a few cycles by a garden sprayer (Pump action) and drain with no agitation THEN do a shakitup test with a litre. If it doesnt glob I add water via house to the barrel(S). Turn ze pump on and mix. Settle. Drain. if water is clear if not add water again. Then dry.

Peace out all. Good luck and I hope this helps. You have all helped me a ton. THANKS VERY MUCH

And does anyone have a line on inexpensive methanol. Im paying $400 a barrel. TOOOOO much I think.

Location: Vancouver Island | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are not getting your oil anywhere near dry enough for a decent acid stage, your results will never be consistant.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sooooo Then what would I do to get the waste oil dryer? WAY DRYER??

And also what can I do with glycrin?