BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    Sodium Bentonite

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sodium Bentonite
 Login/Join

posted
G'day all,

Can someone please point how to use sodium bentonite for water removal from methanol (and or oil) and how to regenerate it for reuse?
What sort of conditions did I need to I create and results I should expect?

Thanks.

Location: Formerly Brisbane QLD but in Ukraine for the past 16 years | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Zschech:
G'day all,

Can someone please point how to use sodium bentonite for water removal from methanol (and or oil) and how to regenerate it for reuse?
What sort of conditions did I need to I create and results I should expect?

Thanks.

Thats a good question, hasn't been used for that yet except for some simple testing with wvo water removal, so I say give it a try and report back to us!

As far as reuse, simply dry out and if it is too clumpy just break it up with a hammer. Ta Da! Big Grin

Location: Buckeye | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried yet, but I think you could either set up some sort of column like is used for any dry washing method, but you would have to account for a lot of expansion of the bentonite.

Or you could go a more passive route and just make a sock full of bentonite on a rope to drop into the tank of methanol or WVO. Again, though, taking into account the nature of swelling that bentonite has, so use a very stretchy material for the sock, make sure you choose a size you can get back out the hole you drop it into, even if it swells, say, 300% (just a guess).

I finally found a local source I can walk right onto the shop floor and just buy the stuff, so if I ever get around to getting over there to get some, I will be able to start figuring out some of these more nitty-gritty details.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post