BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    should I acid treat wvo that titrates 5?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

should I acid treat wvo that titrates 5?
 Login/Join

posted
I've had success doing AE on wvo that titrates 10-15 and now its habit forming,but I have some wvo that titrates 5 . It's from a different source,so its not a mistake. I don't know if there would be any advantage in doing AE I probably wouldn't want to use as much acid. For wvo thats 12 I use 180 cc. of acid for 152 liters and in a day it'll titrate 4. My guess is t use about 80 cc.for this batch.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heat
-nice to hear that AE is working for you. Have you ever drawn a T type sample after the acid is mixed in, then check the ph of it? The closer to ph 1 or less the better ae will work!
-T5 NaOH? if so I would do the ae. if KOH just base/base process.
-If you choose to do ae, use .75 ml/ltr of oil, check the ph as above and add more acid if required then mix and let sit. and an acid dose rate of .75ml/ltr the final T should be about 1.5 from acid, any higher would indicate that some ffa still exist.
-looking at your batch that had a final T of 4, with the amount of acid you used T should have been closer to 2.4: Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done T5,KOH oil using AE with great results.
many times the yield is 99% or higher.

if I remember I used 70ml in 230 liters of oil..many times it take 24hrs to drop.
then I run base/base with it.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
closer to ph 1 or less the better ae will work

Tom, do you mean ph 7? A ph of 1 would be extremely acid. I'm not sure. One batch that titrated 15 yielded in the high 90's ,but I had to be careful washing it,and not get water wash it to agressively.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heat,
I think Tom means 1..
he has a unique way of do AE..but it does require a digital PH meter that most of use don't have.
he adds enough acid to the mix to lower the ph to 1 or 2..than add the methanol..mixes and waits.
Tom --- Let me know if I have this wrong--??

regardless..if in doubt add less acid than you think is needed..
make sure the oil is dry..bone dry!!clean is even better.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post