Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
What percentage is this H2S04?

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/629605551/m/2327092973

August 23, 2014, 01:10 PM
Jon Heron
What percentage is this H2S04?
My oil sources titrations are starting to soar so I have decided its time to learn how to do this acid esterification you all speak so highly of.
I found this sulphuric at a company I have an account with but it doesn't say the %, just that its "Lab Grade, Solution 1.0M (=2.0N)" which means nothing to me... Big Grin
https://prolabscientific.com/S...b-Grade-p-21941.html
Will that work?
How much will I need? Whats a ball park estimate on the amount needed to treat a 1425L batch that titrates at say 11 KOH?
If I am going to need lots I will see if they sell it in larger containers, presuming this is what I want.
Thanks!
Jon

Simple schematic for a pump and heater control with a high limit
Sensor for the biodiesel/glycerin layer
August 23, 2014, 01:57 PM
Jon Heron
Never mind, I see that 1.0M is as week as it comes by the look of it. According to wikipedia anyways.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfuric_acid
So It looks like this is what I am after, ~18M
https://prolabscientific.com/S...ic-Acid-p-21940.html
Which according to the wiki is 98%.
So how much should I get?
Cheers,
Jon

August 23, 2014, 03:57 PM
fabricator
Hey Jon, my acid is 66 Baume which is 93. something, I think that is the technical grade, I originally got it from a factory that was going out of business and they just gave it to me, brand new unopened still sealed.
A 55 gallon drum weighs close to 800 lbs, I've been doing the acid base for about 3 or 4 or 5 years now and have simplified my recipe to 1ml/L added to 25 gallons of methanol, this is for a 350 gallon batch, I keep the heat and pump on and it'll go from 11 to 3-2.5 in about four hours.
I think 55 gallons is going to last the rest of my bio making career.
August 23, 2014, 06:16 PM
Jon Heron
Thanks Fab!
That sounds pretty straightforward, just the way I like it!
I can get the 93% 66 Baume stuff from my chemical supplier but I thought that it was no good for this, obviously not though.
I will check the price from them as I am sure its cheaper than the $55 they want for 2.5 litres in the link above.
Just so I have this strait;
You mix 1ml of acid per litre of oil, into 25 gallons of methanol, then add that to the oil and start mixing.
What do you heat it up to?
After the 4 hours do you just titrate and dose the methoxide like usual or do you deduct the 25 gallons you added earlier?
Anything else I should know?
Thanks again!
Jon

August 23, 2014, 11:02 PM
r_hodges
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Heron:
I can get the 93% 66 Baume stuff from my chemical supplier but I thought that it was no good for this, obviously not though.
I will check the price from them as I am sure its cheaper than the $55 they want for 2.5 litres in the link above.

Another source is Duda Diesel in Alabama. Near the bottom of this page is 98% H2SO4 by the quart for $13 and a 65# "drum" (4.25 gallons) for $117. This is probably still a high price for a common chemical, but if you don't need much for each batch it might be okay.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/biodiesel_chemicals.php
August 24, 2014, 11:09 AM
Jon Heron
Thanks Hodges. I am in Canada though and nobody likes to ship chems across the border.
My methanol supplier sells the 93% stuff and they deliver my methanol for free so that would be ideal for me anyways...
Cheers,
Jon

August 24, 2014, 11:13 AM
Jon Heron
I got off my arse and did some reading and think I have a better understanding now.
I can add the methanol to the batch first then suck in the acid and heat it up to processing temp (150~160F for me) and let it go for 4 hours or so.
Then titrate with it still mixing.
The only thing I am still unsure of is whether or not I deduct the initial methanol for the acid treatment from the amount I add for the base treatment?
It seems logical that you would deduct it but I am only assuming and that usually gets me into trouble...
Cheers,
Jon

August 25, 2014, 03:58 PM
Jon Heron
I am getting a 35KG container of 93% sulphuric for 43 bucks. They are delivering it along with 3 drums of methanol and 3 bags of caustic for $1237.35CAD including tax tomorrow... Eek
Wow methanol is up over $50 a drum compared to this time last year... Bastards...
Cheers,
Jon