BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Acid Esterification    AE calculator based on biotoms formula

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AE calculator based on biotoms formula
 Login/Join

posted
I am going to add an AE calc to my bio logger app based on the recipe Tom gave me in the summary (http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/629605551/m/8857063973)thread and I am looking for some input.
Here is what the AE section on the setup page is looking like:

Is there anything else needed there as far as input from the brewer?
Based on the batch size and titration input on the batch tab I will then display the following:
Amount of acid required, based on the multiplier entered on the setup page times the titration (.095*titration for example).
Amount of methanol to add, A percentage based on the volume of oil and the entry on the setup page.
Estimated ending titration , Whats the formula to calculate this? Smile

Is there anything else I should add?
It will also automatically deduct the methanol added for AE from the amount needed for the base reaction step.
Any input or advice would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jon...pretty impressive ...

I guess AE is giving you good results then?

Location: Ontario | Registered: April 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Danno, long time no see eh!?
I have only done the one AE batch as detailed in another thread on here.
It was a learning experience but overall it went pretty well. I got the titration down to 5 and it made a beautiful batch with high yield thats burning in my boiler right now Big Grin
The next batch I do I am going to try Tom's formula.
Since everything is frozen solid here I figured now would be a good time to update my logger for AE. I find it very convenient and the logs make a great reference for future batches and overall cost. It helps to eliminate math mistakes for numskulls like me too!
Hows things up in the great white north eh?
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have it working to calculate the amount of acid and methanol now.
Still not quite sure how to calculate the estimated end titration?
What do you Americans use instead of ml to measure the acid? Ounces or something else?
Or is milliliter standard for small liquid measurement down there too? Smile
Here is a screen shot of the output from my blackberry

Thats based on 10% of the oil volume for methanol and a multiplier of .095 for the acid.
Cheers,
Jon

posted Hide Post
Jon, ending titration can be calculated by multiplying the number of ml of acid per ltr of oil by 2. each mil of acid added to a ltr of new oil will change the titration by approximately 2 points.
.095 X titration is a good starting point to calculate the amount of acid for AE. Slightly on the high side but once you get to know the process and have a good feeling for the dryness (the most important part of the process)of the oil the multiplier can be reduced to .065. That is the lowest multiplier that works reliably for me I use 8% of the oil volume when calculating the methanol for AE then for transesterfication I use the remaining 12% plus the amount of drainage. so if I drain 4 ltr of junk then 4 extra ltrs of methanol are added to the transesterfication process.
There where many contributors in the AE thread that led to this formula so please don't heap all the credit on me! Big Grin unless it comes with royalties Wink

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK that's great, thanks Tom!
So I also need to add a spot where you can add in the amount drained to compensate for missing methanol.
The methanol amount required, 8% or whatever is based on the oil volume right?
So then whatever the required amount of methanol for the AE is it will be deducted from the methanol amount for the batch, plus any amount drained.
I am a slow adult and still need some more help with the estimated titration... Roll Eyes
Lets work through an example.
I have 100L of oil titrating at 11KOH.
With 8% methanol and a multiplier of .095 the calculator says to use 1.05ml of acid per litre of oil (105ml) into 8 litres of methanol.
So 1.05 * 2 = 2.1
Is that it then, the estimated end titration should be 2.1?
Smile
Cheers,
Jon

posted Hide Post
that's right Jon, ending T would be 2.1 if the reaction converted the ffa. Remember, that ending titration is with all the junk mixed in with the oil. once you let the junk settle then drain it off the titration could be as low as .25 - .5. I think some acid remains but for sure it is very little.
The methanol amount for AE is based on the volume of oil in the processor most use 10% but I have had good results using 8%.
Always use NEW methanol for AE, then use your previously reclaimed methanol for transesterfication. This will ensure you don't add any water to the AE process.
I don't like to add acid to the methanol, the reaction is quite violent so I always add the methanol to the oil first then I add the acid. If you add the acid to the oil first it will produce darker biodiesel. I think the acid burns the oil?
If you make a mistake and add the methanol to the acid it will violently erupt/explode very dangerous, been there done that Eek Eek Some days you should stay in bed Big Grin

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post