-more acid, more methanol are costly alteratives that will have limited affect. if you want to improve the results of AE, you must dry the wvo. how you mix or add the chemical will NOT affect the outcome. If you add the acid first, the biodiesel will have a much darker colour that if you add the methanol first, but it will be biodiesel non the less. it has no affect on the yield! If you choose to mix the methanol and acid first as heatbeater has suggested, know the dangers that lurk!!!. be sure you have running water and baking soda at hand, just in case, you won't have time to run for them if something goes amiss. The container must have sufficient head space to contain the violent reaction, and the toxic, flamable fumes. It must also be able to hold the pressure created be the exothermic reaction of the chemicals. Oh ya, remember the entire mix is very acidic and care must be taken when you add it to the processor. I'm sure you can tell by now, this is not my prefered method, I know a lot of people do it this way, hope it never catches up with them the way it did ME!.
-the consistant results of jrunlimited shows, that by paying attention to detail, 100% yeild is possable. and he is not the only one!! I haven't entered that relm yet, but I am close. What is really important to me is to have a process that is consistant. Tom
" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.
if the batch doesn't go as far as you would like..STOP.. first answer this question..
how far did the reaction go?
if you're using KOH for titration 1ml of acid causes a titration of 2.25mls..
put another way..
starting with T18
18-3*0.2 = 3mls/liter this meand your lowest titration is 3 * 2.25 or 6.75..at this point you have reached 100% conversion of the FFA..ITS DONE!!
case in point look at my other thread for my last 2 batches starting T46 and T40..ending at T6 and T5 after draining..
if your oil isn't dry you will not get these results..its possible to dry in an appleseed..just pump air into the bottom with the vent open.. an aquarium is all thats needed..that and time.. make sure there are NO bubbles using the hot pan test..
'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died.. 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine
everything run B100 when its warm enough
After thinking about it. I know why this problem occurred I quit dewatering a few month ago after having to clean a few customers auto's left in the garage. I started dewatering in the appleseed only. this has been sufficient for the better WVO. Considering I was doing gly prewash. I haven't had to do AE until the last 12 batches. This is where I started having this difficulty with the 2 acid steps. But my yield hasn't varied I consistently make 3 batches of 48 gallons each = 144 gallons and after the wash I have about 120 gallons of finished product. I am fixin to do a major overhaul on my whole biodiesel processing line. For the next few batches considering I have failed AE batches there is 12% methanol already in the WVO should I just add the acid to complete the AE reaction of is some of the methanol neutralized by the water(does the mud in the bottom of the reactor contain methanol or water only) or does additional methanol need to be added also?
My dewatering process is heat the WVO up to 230 degree's while circulating until the steam stops. (have the vent attached to a pipe that is plumbed to the outside). Then I have an air fitting that pushes air compressor air into the bottom outlet. I let the air in slowly as not to agitate the oil enough to get it into the vent and additional steam comes out of the vent when it stops I have considered it dry enough. this is probably dry enough for a base/base process but not enough for the AE. I am speculating that the organic material in the bottom of the reactor is retaining some moisture mystery solvedThis message has been edited. Last edited by: marvingvx,
|Powered by Social Strata||Page 1 2|